Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- Archive of Sabinus and Apollinarius
- 9 X 21 cm
- Recto - 25
- Verso - 1
- Negative in Copenhagen
- yes (+ verso)
- Conservation Status
- well preserved, except for small holes at the top and along the folds
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 493
- IInd century A.D.
- Alexandria, Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 30-C123CCI-A (5)
- Gaius Iulius Sabinus
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Sabinus to his mother ...[.].rarion and to (his wife?) Demetrous, explaining that he has encountered exasperating delays in Alexandria in connection with a suit at law and that he as to wait for the arrival of a new archidikastes to have his case concluded
- Subject Headings
- (Gaius) Iulius Sabinus (see P. Mich. IX, p. 5-8);
- his mother [---]narion;
- (his wife?) Demetrous (see P. Mich. IX, p. 5-8);
- two successive, unnamed archidikastai;
- Aphrotisia (Aphrodisia);
- Thermoutis (Thermouthis);
- Sabinus to . . . [.] . narion, his mother, and to Demetrous, to both greeting. I want you to know that since the day I sailed down to Alexandria I have found most of the days free from public business, and up to today I have endured interminable delay in the matter of my suit. It happened indeed that the former archidikastes had departed, and we are awaiting the new man. As soon as he is brought here, with god's help I shall leave without delay. Since the day I came I have been with our Antonius, and everything goes well. Salute Aphrodisia and Thermouthis and Tasoucharion and my friend Ptollas. Antonius salutes all of you as well as the children. I pray for your good health.
- (Verso) To Karanis, to the house of Sabinus, the <husband?> of Demetrous.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 493 Pl. V Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 493, 1951, Pl. V
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- S. Llewelyn, ZPE 101 (1994) p. 71-72.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26424 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)