Background and Physical Properties
- Archive of Sabinus and Apollinarius
- 15 X 22 cm
- Conservation Status
- badly broken along the left side; the verso has been covered with strips of paper which may conceal the address if there is one
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 486
- IInd century A.D.
- unknown place (north of Antinooupolis), province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 30-C123CG4-A (1)
- Sempronius Clemens
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Sempronius Clemens to Apollinarius, explaining why he had been unable, not unwilling, to give the necessary attention to matters entrusted to him by Apollinarius, and assuring him that he may be relied on for the future
- Subject Headings
- Sempronius Clemens;
- (Gaius Iulius) Apolinarius (Apollinarius) (see P. Mich. IX, p. 5-8);
- his father (Gaius) Iulius Sabinus (see P. Mich. IX, p. 5-8);
- Valerianus (& wife)
- Sempronius Clemens to his most esteemed Apollinarius, greeting. I received your letters from your <father>, Iulius Sabinus, from which I learned that you state, not that I was unable to attend to your affairs, but that, as you say, I was unwilling. And, of course, on this point I understood, but nevertheless I shall present my justification. For the delay arose in the fact that Valerianus, not by his own wish, but because his wife controverted our orders to him, went off straightway to her. Since in this situation you enjoined upon me with considerable earnestness to write to you, in order that in this way no further reason for delay should again remain, I indicate that under pressing need I am going up to Antinooupolis and shall write to you from there with reference to these matters. And if per chance Fortune permits me to set out hither from Antinooupolis, there is no delay. For I shall write to you immediately after this distraction, so that you may not be anxious concerning your affairs. For in this way I shall show you how not again will I neglect anything.
- (2nd hand) I pray that you be well together with all your household.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 486 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 486, 1951
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)