Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- Archive of Sabinus and Apollinarius
- 11 X 23.5 cm
- Recto - 23
- Verso - 1
- Conservation Status
- well preserved except at the top
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 496
- IInd century A.D.
- probably Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 30-C123BG4-A (7)
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Apol... to Apollinarius, urging him to visit the writer, as Apollinarius is not far away, at Bacchias
- Subject Headings
- Bacchias (Extinct city)
- his brother(?) Theon;
- (Gaius Iulius) Apolinarius (Apollinarius) (see P. Mich. IX, p. 5-8)
- Apol . . . to Apollinarius, his brother, greeting. Having learned that you are in Bacchias I salute you, brother, and I urge you to write to us immediately concerning your health. For I have already used up a papyrus roll in writing to you, and I received barely one letter from you, in which you informed me that I should receive the cloaks and the pig. The pig I did not receive, but the cloaks I did get. Farewell. Pharmouthi 4(?). (2 hand) I pray for your good health and pleasure, brother. Do you receive four good lettuces, a bundle of beets, 21 bulbs, 16(?) greens, and three good semi-salted fish. Theon, my brother, salutes you and urges you to come to us from Bacchias. For observe that those who come from there arrive within the second hour.
- (Verso) To Apollinarius, his friend.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 496 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 496, 1951
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- S. Pernigotti, Archeologia e papiri nel Fayyum. Storia della ricerca, problemi e prospettive. Atti del Convegno internazionale = Quaderni del Museo del Papiro. 8 (Siracusa, 1997) pp. 197-210; S. Pernigotti, Problemi della topografia di Bakchias. Gli dèi di Bakchias e altri studi sul Fayyum di età tolemaica e romana = Università di Bologna. Dipartimento di Archeologia. Archeologia e Storia della Civiltà egiziana e del Vicino Oriente antico. Materiali e Studi. 5 (Imola, 2000) pp. 59-70.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)