Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- Archive of Sabinus and Apollinarius
- 11 X 23.5 cm
- Recto - 23
- Verso - 1
- Conservation Status
- well preserved except at the top
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 496
- IInd century A.D.
- probably Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 30-C123BG4-A (7)
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Apol... to Apollinarius, urging him to visit the writer, as Apollinarius is not far away, at Bacchias
- Subject Headings
- Bacchias (Extinct city)
- his brother(?) Theon;
- (Gaius Iulius) Apolinarius (Apollinarius) (see P. Mich. IX, p. 5-8)
- Apol . . . to Apollinarius, his brother, greeting. Having learned that you are in Bacchias I salute you, brother, and I urge you to write to us immediately concerning your health. For I have already used up a papyrus roll in writing to you, and I received barely one letter from you, in which you informed me that I should receive the cloaks and the pig. The pig I did not receive, but the cloaks I did get. Farewell. Pharmouthi 4(?). (2 hand) I pray for your good health and pleasure, brother. Do you receive four good lettuces, a bundle of beets, 21 bulbs, 16(?) greens, and three good semi-salted fish. Theon, my brother, salutes you and urges you to come to us from Bacchias. For observe that those who come from there arrive within the second hour.
- (Verso) To Apollinarius, his friend.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 496 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 496, 1951
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- S. Pernigotti, Archeologia e papiri nel Fayyum. Storia della ricerca, problemi e prospettive. Atti del Convegno internazionale = Quaderni del Museo del Papiro. 8 (Siracusa, 1997) pp. 197-210; S. Pernigotti, Problemi della topografia di Bakchias. Gli dèi di Bakchias e altri studi sul Fayyum di età tolemaica e romana = Università di Bologna. Dipartimento di Archeologia. Archeologia e Storia della Civiltà egiziana e del Vicino Oriente antico. Materiali e Studi. 5 (Imola, 2000) pp. 59-70.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)