Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- + P. Mich. inv. 5916; Archive of Sabinus and Apollinarius
- 12 X 21.5 cm when combined with P. Mich. inv. 5916
- Recto - 21
- Verso - 2
- Conservation Status
- nearly complete; the 2 parts fit perfectly
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 499
- IInd century A.D.
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- 30-132*-YII (1)
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Sabinianus to his brother Apollinarius, expressing gratitude for the help given by Apollinarius to their sister and urging him to help Sabinianus becoming their sister's guardian
- Subject Headings
- his brother (Gaius) Iulius Apolinarius (Apollinarius) (see P. Mich. IX, p. 5-8);
- their (unnamed) sister & mother
- Sabinianus to Apollinarius, his brother and lord, very many greetings. Daily I myself offer prayers for your well-being in the presence of the local gods, that you may be preserved for many years. You provide and have provided more than enough for our sister, and for this I acknowledge all thanks to you in the presence of all the gods; for it has been attested to me both by our sister and mother. I have written to you often, and the negligence of those who carry the letters has slandered us as negligent. So that she may surely take me as her guardian, I beg you to give heed to our sister in whatever she may ask to you. I salute the most worthy Abaskantos and all of your household, each by name. I pray for your good health as well as that of your entire household. Mecheir 18.
- (Verso) To Iulius Apollinarius from Sabinianus, brother of Apollinarius
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 499 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 499, 1951 -- BL VIII, 213 (bibliography) BL VIII, 213 (bibliography) Light from Ancient Letters White JL 1986 115B White JL, Light from Ancient Letters, 115B, 1986
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)