Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- 10.5 X 8.5 cm
- Recto - 8
- Verso - 1
- Conservation Status
- Broken at the bottom. There is a folder with many tiny pieces which preserve a couple of letters or strokes and it should be checked if they join any of this documents of this inv. no
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 519
- Ann Arbor
- IVth century or Vth century A.D.
- unknown place, province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Beginning of a letter from Bes to his father Phamaeis
- Subject Headings
- Bes, oinoprates;
- his father Phamaeis;
- his mother Thermouteis (Thermouthis)
- (Christian symbol). To my lord and beloved father Phamaeis, Bes the wine merchant, greeting. Before all else I greet repeatedly you and my mother Thermouthis and your household – may the evil eye not touch them – each by name. You did well to send me . . .
- (Verso) . . . to my lord . . . .
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 519 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 519, 1951 Cristianesimo in Egitto Naldini M 1968 67 Naldini M, Cristianesimo in Egitto, 67, 1968 -- BL X, 125 (date) BL X, 125 (date)
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- P.Sorb. II, p. 46
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)