Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- archive of Claudius Tiberianus
- 19.5 X 22 cm
- Recto - 28 + 8 in the right margin;
- Verso - 1
- Conservation Status
- considerably damaged along the folds, and slightly broken at the bottom
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 481
- (Early) IInd century A.D.
- unknown place (in or near Alexandria?), province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Claudius Terentianus
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Claudius Terentianus to his sister Tasoucharion, inquiring whether the contents of two baskets which he has sent have reached her in safety, and signifying his intention of paying her a visit
- Subject Headings
- Writing material
- (Claudius) Terentianus (& children) (see P. Mich. VIII, 467-481 introd.);
- his sister Tasoucharion (see P. Mich. VIII, 467-481 introd.) (& their father?);
- Valerius, chrysochoos;
- ---krates (& family);
- Ptolemaios son of Arios (& family);
- Terentianus to Tasoucharion, his sister, very many greetings. Before all else I pray that you be well together with your entire family. Receive a basket from the man who delivers the letter to you, and write back to me what you find in it. And I have sent you another basket by Valerius the goldsmith. Please write to me, when you receive it, both about your health and anything you may need. For I hope soon to go upcountry to you. Do everything possible to provide for us two keramia (of the largest size) of olyra and an artaba of radish oil. I sent you the marjoram that goes with the oil. And if you received from Ptolemaios what I wrote . . . write to me . . . . Our children salute you . . . . Salute . . . with all his house, and Ptolemaios the son of Arius, together with their wives and children. Salute Ptolemaios and Tiberinus and . . . . to send a fresh bundle(?) of asparagus by Melas, since we ask it of you, father, send one bundle(?). All the persons in the house . . . salute you, each by name. I sent you papyrus so that you might be able to write me concerning your health. I pray that you may always be well.
- (Verso) Deliver to Tasoucharion from Terentianus.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 481 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 481, 1951 -- BL III, 116 (on lines 32-33); BL IV, 55 (on origin of the text); BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL VIII, 215 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography) BL III, 116 (on lines 32-33); BL IV, 55 (on origin of the text); BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL VIII, 215 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography) Light from Ancient Letters White J.L. 1986 112 White J.L., Light from Ancient Letters, 112, 1986
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- A. Calderini, Rendiconti dell'Istituto Lombardo di Scienze e Lettere, Cl. di Lett. 84 (1951) p. 165; G.B. Pighi, Lettere latine d'un soldato di Traiano (Bologna, 1964) p. 88-90 R.W. Davies, BASP 10 (1973) p. 21-25; G. Calboli, Latin vulgaire - latin tardif II. Actes du IIe Colloque international sur le latin vulgaire et tardif (Tuebingen, 1990) p. 23-44.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)