Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- archive of Claudius Tiberianus
- 20.7 X 16.8 cm
- Negative in Copenhagen
- Conservation Status
- broken on the left side; many large and small holes
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 474
- (Early) IInd century A.D.
- unknown place (not far from Alexandria?), province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from [Tabetheus(?)] to her brother Tiberianus, urging him, as he arrived to Alexandria after a long absence, to visit her and his children
- Subject Headings
- [Tabetheus(?)] (& family);
- her brother Claudius Tiberianus (see P. Mich. VIII, 467-481 introd.);
- Segathis, his daughter;
- Isidoros, his son;
- --- (& children)
- [Tabetheus(?) to Claudius Tib]erianus, her brother, very many greetings. [When I learned that] you had come to Alexandria, I was very happy together with my entire family, [and do you write to me in reply] that you are coming to us immediately, since your son(?) . . . waited for you during your absence until today. And to the present moment we wait for you [daily ] together with the children. Therefore, I ask you to come [to] us [immediately]; we will make obeisance to you together with the children if you come up . . . . your daughter Segathis serves me; she is prudent and . . . capable. She sent your(?) son Isidoros to you so that [he might take to you] your belts [in the company] of soldiers, because she remains in attendance on me lest [the flood] come in the river with great [violence], since I am not able to leave the house on account of . . . . Isidoros and Segathis salute you, and we salute . . . the children. I received a letter from Claudius, your son, [from which I learned that] as soon as you come to me [you will take] me to Alexandria along with Segathis . . . . to the present moment you have not yet been willing to come.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 474 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 474, 1951 -- BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography) BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography)
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- G.B. Pighi, Lettere latine d'un soldato di Traiano (Bologna, 1964) p. 7; 27-28; R.W. Davies, BASP 10 (1973) p. 21-25; G. Calboli, Latin vulgaire - latin tardif II. Actes du IIe Colloque international sur le latin vulgaire et tardif (Tuebingen, 1990) p. 23-44.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)