About this Item
unspecified | summary (1 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- archive of Claudius Tiberianus
- 10.5 X 21 cm
- Recto - 21
- Verso - 1
- Negative in Copenhagen
- yes (+ verso)
- Conservation Status
- slightly broken at the lower left corner; many small holes
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 475
- (Early) IInd century A.D.
- unknown place (perhaps Alexandria), province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Papinius Apollinarius
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Papirius Apollinarius to Tiberianus, to inquire regarding a sale and a will
- Papirius Apolinarius (Apollinarius);
- Claudius Tiberianus (see P. Mich. VIII, 467-481 introd.);
- Sextus (deceased);
- Papirius Apollinarius to his most esteemed Claudius Tiberianus, greeting. Before all else I pray for your good health. I make obeisance for you daily in the presence of our lord Sarapis. You wrote me, saying that Gaius has sold something. I therefore ask you, brother, to find out what he has sold, and write to me. And about Sextus, I heard that he passed away. So learn who his heir is and when the will is to be opened. Salute Zotike, Kephalon and all his household, and Ptolemaios. Papiria salutes you, as do Hermes and Menouthos and Serapias.
- (Verso) To Claudius Tiberianus, veteran, from Papirius Apollinarius.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 475 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 475, 1951 -- BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL VIII, 215 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography) BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL VIII, 215 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography) Light from Ancient Letters White J.L. 1986 109 White J.L., Light from Ancient Letters, 109, 1986
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- G.B. Pighi, Lettere latine d'un soldato di Traiano (Bologna, 1964) p. 87; R.W. Davies, BASP 10 (1973) p. 21-25; G. Calboli, Latin vulgaire - latin tardif II. Actes du IIe Colloque international sur le latin vulgaire et tardif (Tuebingen, 1990) p. 23-44.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 5402". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-2456/1. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 07, 2022.