Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- archive of Claudius Tiberianus
- 14 X 22.5 cm
- Recto - 27
- Verso - 3
- Negative in Copenhagen
- yes (+verso)
- Conservation Status
- gravely damaged in a number of places
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 472
- (Early) IInd century A.D.
- Alexandria, province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Claudius Tiberianus
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Claudius Terentianus to Longinus Priscus
- Subject Headings
- Claudius Tiberianus (see P. Mich. VIII, 467-481 introd.);
- his son Claudius (Terentianus) (see P. Mich. VIII, 467-481 introd.);
- Longinus Priscus;
- Sempronius Clemens, frumentarius
- Claudius Tiberianus to Longinus Priscus, his lord and patron, very many greetings. You know very well in what way I left you . . . to come to you soon. When I brought(?) to Alexandria with me . . . I found that the boats had already departed and I did not sell it. Know, my lord, that I am now in Alexandria; if I find an opportunity, I hope to come to you soon. I beg you, my lord, deign to write me where you are stationed, so that I may be able to find you there quickly and bring the . . . by boat. As I was about to send to you the letter that Sempronius Clemens, the frumentarius, will deliver to you, I found at his place, by dint of thought and good luck, also the two letters that you want, and I sent them to you under seal. I beg you, my lord, . . . I prepared . . . wooden staves(?). Claudius, my son, sends many salutations to you. (2nd hand) I pray for your good health, my lord. (1st hand) Salute . . . et Aristus et . . . et all your comrades(?). Farewell.
- (Verso) To Longinus Priscus, from Claudius Tiberianus . . . .
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 472 Pl. III Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 472, 1951, Pl. III -- BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL VIII, 215 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography) BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL VIII, 215 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography) CPL Cavenaile R 1957 255 Cavenaile R, CPL, 255, 1957
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- Rep Editor - Pighi G. B.; Rep Ser. - Lettere latine d'un soldato di Traiano; 1964; Rep_Pg_No 3;
- Rep Editor - Cugusi P.; Rep Ser. - C.Epist.Lat.; 1992; Rep_Pg_No 147, with pl. XIII;
- Rep Editor - Dorandi T; Rep Ser. - Ch.L.A. XLII; 1994; Rep_Pg_No 1219 (photo: p. 45-46).
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- R.W. Davies, BASP 10 (1973) p. 21-25; J.N. Adams, The Vulgar Latin of the Letters of Claudius Terentianus (P. Mich. VIII, 467-72) (Manchester, 1977); Chr. Lehmann, Cuadernos de filologia classica 21 (1988) p. 11-23; G. Calboli, Latin vulgaire - latin tardif II. Actes du IIe Colloque international sur le latin vulgaire et tardif (Tuebingen, 1990) p. 23-44.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)