Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- archive of Claudius Tiberianus
- 15 X 19 cm
- Recto - 22
- Verso - 2
- Negative in Copenhagen
- yes (+verso)
- Conservation Status
- Many holes
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 469
- (Early) IInd century A.D.
- probably Alexandria, province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Latin (Recto)
- Greek (Verso)
- Claudius Terentianus
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Claudius Terentianus to his father(?) Claudius Tiberianus, asking him to make a number of purchases for his mother
- Subject Headings
- Personal status: freedman
- Claudius Terentianus (see P. Mich. VIII, 467-481 introd.);
- his father(?) Claudius Tiberianus, speculator (see P. Mich. VIII, 467-481 introd.);
- his (unnamed) mother;
- (unnamed) liberta of Germanus
- Claudius Terentianus to Claudius Tiberianus, his father, very many greetings. My mother salutes you and asks you to buy for her, if it can be done, some merchandise(?). She has seen Germanus's freedwoman . . . a linen garment and she wants that . . . . See if you are able to find one at a reasonable price. The mattresses(?) that I brought for her . . . . Do(?) it then if you can . . . and send me a reply. For she said that she wants it, for she . . . buckets and . . . and that you send her . . . . I say to her, "I should not like to go looking for them, but I can write a letter for you and he will send them to you if he finds them." Therefore, buy them at a reasonable price, I beg you, so that you may satisfy her . . . . For we hold you in affection after god, as you hold us. Salute those who love us. Farewell.
- (Verso) To Claudius Tiberianus, speculator.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 469 Pl. II Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 469, 1951, Pl. II -- BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL VIII, 215 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography) BL VII, 111 (bibliography); BL VIII, 215 (bibliography); BL IX, 161 (bibliography) CPL Cavenaile R 1957 252 Cavenaile R, CPL, 252, 1957
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- Rep Editor - Pighi G. B.; Rep Ser. - Lettere latine d'un soldato di Traiano; 1964; Rep_Pg_No 6;
- Rep Editor - Cugusi P.; Rep Ser. - C.Epist.Lat.; 1992; Rep_Pg_No 144, with pl. XII;
- Rep Editor - Dorandi T; Rep Ser. - Ch.L.A. XLII; 1994; Rep_Pg_No 1216 (photo: p. 31-32).
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- R.W. Davies, BASP 10 (1973) p. 21-25; J.N. Adams, The Vulgar Latin of the Letters of Claudius Terentianus (P. Mich. VIII, 467-72) (Manchester, 1977); Chr. Lehmann, Cuadernos de filologia classica 21 (1988) p. 11-23; G. Calboli, Latin vulgaire - latin tardif II. Actes du IIe Colloque international sur le latin vulgaire et tardif (Tuebingen, 1990) p. 23-44.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)