About this Item
unspecified | summary (1 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- 13 X 10.5 cm
- Recto - 16
- Verso - 2
- Conservation Status
- considerably damaged on the right side, and broken at the bottom. The original could not be found (March 1997)
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 489
- Ann Arbor
- IInd century A.D.
- unknown place (Alexandria?), province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Longinus Clemens
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Longinus Clemens to Ptolemaios, concerning business arrangements
- Longinus Clemens, veteran;
- Apolinarin (Apollinarius? Apolinarion?);
- Longinus to Ptolemaios, his brother, many greetings. Before all else I pray for your health, and I make obeisance for you in the presence of the lord Sarapis. Know that Apollinarius(?) has given me only the 500 drachmai. Since you wrote . . ., you will do well therefore to send my grain, including what remains(?) from last year and the difference thereon. Without delaying the harvest . . ., so that I may have the benefit. . . . without my consent(?) when I was in need . . . more than the regular price. Do you therefore shut it all up in my house so that when I come, with god's help, I may find it intact. Let the work be performed(?) with care, and let everything be done as you promised me, and do you inspect with care the work on the . . . .
- (2nd hand) Deliver to Ptolemaios,
- (3rd hand) from Longinus Clemens, veteran
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 489 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 489, 1951 -- BL III, 116 on line 7 BL III, 116 on line 7
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- N. Lewis, CP 48 (1953) p. 54.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 5252". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-2399/1. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 05, 2022.