Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- 9 X 27 cm
- Recto - 33
- Verso - 2
- Conservation Status
- a sizable strip of papyrus has been lost in the middle of the sheet, and another at the lower left corner
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 495
- IInd century A.D.
- unknown place, province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Iulius Germanus
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Iulius Germanus to his sister(?) Tasoucharion
- Subject Headings
- Fatherless families--Egypt
- Iulius Germanus (son of Tapeesis; father unnamed);
- his sister Tasoucharion, daughter of Tapeesis (father unnamed);
- thei mother Tapeesis;
- their brother Ptol[---];
- other (unnamed) sister(s);
- [Iulius] Germanus to Tasoucharion, his sister, very many greetings. Before all else, I pray that you be well; I myself am well, and I make your obeisance before the local gods. I received your letter from Secundus and was greatly delighted about the health of the children(?), and do you watch over them. I shall go to the mill(?) if I sift. For there are there two . . . for all to take. I shall take them, and I shall not let them be . . . . Salute Ptol[. . .]s, our brother. I as you, brother(?), keep watch over my sisters and Pais(?) and my mother . . . . Salute . . . Aunes and our friends. I pray for your health.
- (Verso) Deliver to Karanis, to Tasoucharion, the daughter of Tapeesis, from Iulius Germanus, her brother.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 495 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 495, 1951
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)