Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- 38.9 x 24.9 cm
- (verso) 1
- Conservation Status
- There is a sheet-join 20.7 cm from the left. The papyrus is broken off at the top, but apart from the consular date and the adress not much text is missing.
- Palaeographic Description
- On the verso the docket is written on the back of the extreme right right side of the text on the front. Text on recto (at right angle to text on verso)There is a left margin of 1.5 - 3 cm. Its size increases contrary to Mass' law. The text runs to the right edge. There is a margin of about 8 cm. to the cm below the text. The entire text is written in the unpractised hand of Aurelius Aroous.
- Ann Arbor
- ca. 425 A.D.
- Alabastrine, Antinoite nome, province of Egypt (?)
- Alabastrine, Antinoite nome, province of Egypt
- purchased in Egypt by B.P. Grenfell and F.W. Kelsey in March-April 1920
- Aurelia - - -, daughter of Colluthus
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Sale of land
- Sale of a land for the price of 8 gold solidi
- Subject Headings
- Land tenure--Egypt.
- Land titles--Registration and transfer--Egypt.
- Vendors and purchasers--Egypt.
- Receipts (Acknowledgments)--Egypt.
- Contracts for deeds--Egypt.
- Apa Hatres the monk,
- Aurelia - - -, daughter of Colluthus,
- Aurelius Aroous
- "- - - (I declare to have sold to you) in accordance with this written agreement in one copy, consisting of private land without reed, - - - and all kinds of weeds, my sixth part of vacant lots and the appurtenances and the cistern and all the trees, which belongs to me by inheritance from my deceased Colluthus in the taxing unit of Ereithis - - -, my sixth part, (the neighbours of which are) to the east the inhabitants of Alabastrine, to the west inhabitants of Toou, to the north Apa Hatres the monk, to the south the inhabitants of Toou, (and I declare) that I have received from you on the spot the full price as we have agreed between ourselves, eight gold solidi, = 8 sol., (and I declare) that you may own it and dispose of it from now on forever, and for this reason I made this sale for your security, which is valid and guaranteed, and after formal interrogation I gave my consent.
- I, Aurelia - - -, daughter of Colluthus, the aforementioned, have sold you the sixth part that belongs to me of vacant lots and I have received the full price, 8 gold solidi, and all that is written (in this contract) is satisfactory to me. I, Aurelius Aroous from Thelbonthis, have written for her at her request because she is illiterate."
- verso: - - - the sixth part
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections JRA 5 Gagos T-van Minnen P 1992 197-200 Plate SB XXII, 15619 Gagos T-van Minnen P, JRA 5, 197-200, 1992, Plate -- SB XXII, 15619
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)