Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso described
- Found with the archive of the praktor Sokrates son of Sarapion
- 9.5 X 16.2xm
- Recto - 22
- Conservation Status
- nearly complete; a few traces of ink are all that remain of the address on the verso
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 511
- (First half of the) IIIrd century A.D.
- Unknown place (perhaps Memphis, Memphite nome, or Arsinoe, Arsinoite nome?), province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Ptolemaios to his father, informing him that Ptolemaios has chosen to act as agoranomos for a cult banquet in honor of Sarapis and asking him to undertake for him the duty of providing five loads of wood for the banquet
- Subject Headings
- his (unnamed) father;
- his (unnamed) mother
- Ptolemaios to his father, greeting. I want you and my mother to know that the novices' fee (siopetikon) for the banquet is 24 drachmai and for a place another 22 drachmai. After consideration, therefore, I have taken up the post of agoranomos so that I need not pay the novices' fee nor for a place; but also I receive double portions, and I provide them with wood. For this reason, then, give the matter thought, and if you come up you will receive the freightage for the donkeys. For there is a need of 5 loads. If you need me, send me word and I will come down with two friends as well in order that you may not tire yourself. For a man cannot refuse our lord Sarapis. It is another two months until the banquet. If you are able to bring up the wood with your donkey, bring it up, and you will get the money to cover your expense.
- (2nd hand) Farewell.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 511 Pl. VII Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 511, 1951, Pl. VII -- BL VIII, 215 (bibliography) BL VIII, 215 (bibliography) Ausgewaehlte Texte der Isis- und Sarapis-Religion Totti M 1985 49 Totti M, Ausgewaehlte Texte der Isis- und Sarapis-Religion, 49, 1985
- Year Begin
- Year End
26424 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)