Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 12 X 18
- Conservation Status
- considerably damaged, with a strip about 3-4 cm. wide lost on the right side, and many small holes and abrasions
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 502
- IInd century A.D.
- Koptos, Koptite nome, province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Valerius Gemellus
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Valerius Gemellus to his brother Valerius [---], seeking to compose a disagreement which has arisen between him and his brother
- Subject Headings
- Valerius Gemellus;
- his brother Valerius [---];
- their sister Thermoutharion;
- their (unnamed) mother
- Epeiph . . .
- Valerius Gemellus to Valerius . . . , very many greetings. Before all else, I pray [for your health] and make obeisance for you unceasingly in the presence of the hair at Koptos. I ask [you to write to me], and the gods ask the same thing of you. Even if I do not know . . ., you ought to grant me [this one favor]. In response to my entreaty, brother, be reconciled with me so that I may [enjoy] your confidence [also while I am in] service. Besides, [you have not even regarded me] as befits a brother, have you now, from the time that I left home? But [I regard you, in the manner] of a pious brother, as I do Sarapis. Above all, there is [no other] hope like the candid intercourse of brothers and one's own people. Do not fail to inform [me concerning] your well-being, and do persuade mother. (2nd hand) [Please] write to me as I asked you. I pray [for your health].
- Before all else, I give thanks to my lady sister Thermoutharion in the presence of the gods, and . . . your well-being. Salute . . . .
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 502 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 502, 1951 Scriptiunculae I Youtie HC 1973 483-486 Youtie HC, Scriptiunculae I, 483-486, 1973
- Year Begin
- Year End
26400 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)