P.Mich.inv. 45 / Verso
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (11 items)
back | summary (1 items)
back | detail (1 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- Zenon archive
- 39.5 x 28 cm
- recto, col. I - 22;
- recto, col. II - 12;
- Verso - 3 + 1
- Conservation Status
- Palaeographic Description
- Large, handsome and distinct cursive
- Ann Arbor
- March 29, 256 B.C.
- near Aphroditopolis, Aphroditopolite nome, Egypt
- Philadelpheia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- purchased in Egypt by B.P. Grenfell and F.W. Kelsey in March-April 1920
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Business Letter
- Letter sent by Sosos, a commercial agent of the dioiketes Apollonios, to Zenon (at the time acting as Apollonios' secretary in Egypt), concerning the selling of a cargo of wheat near Aphroditopolis and a purchase of hides to be made at Herakleopolis
- Subject Headings
- Slaves--Egypt--Aphrodito (Extinct city)
- Transport (ship)
- Sosos (see Pros.Ptol. V 14453);
- Zenon (son of Agreophon) (see Pros.Ptol. I 80 + add.);
- Ptolemaios ho para Archibiadou epistates (see Pros.Ptol. I 701);
- Archibiades (see Pros.Ptol. I 653);
- Charmos (see Pros.Ptol. V 14266; VI 16488);
- Styrax (see Pap.Lugd.Bat. XXI, p. 421);
- Ammonios, sitopoios (see Pros.Ptol. V 13431)
- Aphrodites polis (Aphroditopolis); ho kat' Aphrodites poleos hormos; Herakleous polis; Ptolemais
- Sosos to Zenon greeting. I received your letter in which you asked me to put aside 100 artabs of the wheat which we have on board and to sell the rest at the highest price we can get. Now as for reserving the corn, know that it is no longer possible. For not being aware that you would be wanting it, we sold the whole cargo of wheat in the harbor over against Aphroditopolis, through Ptolemaios the epistates serving under Archibiades, a total of 241 artabs at 7 artabs for each gold stater; and we gave the purchasers 3 artabs extra on every hundred to balance the incidental expenses. Charmos has brought me a message to give Pyrrhichos money for the purchase of hides at Herakleopolis. Know then that we have not so much money that we can give Pyrrhichos enough for that purpose. For out of the price of the corn Ptolemaios is still owing us 288 drachmai, about which I am bringing you a letter of guarantee to the effect that we are to receive them on the 10th of Mecheir, and I have 400 drachmai in hand. Be kind enough then to write and tell me where I am to obtain the money to give him and whether we are to send Styrax with him in order that we may keep an eye on the prices; for we know him to be reliable in such affairs. We have brought down also the lots of wine that were at Ptolemais. Send me word where I am to obtain corn for Ammonios the miller and how much I am to give him for the preparation of flour. We have also given Pyrrhichos 10 drachmai for travelling expenses. Farewell. Year 29, Mecheir 5.
- To Zenon.
- (2nd hand: docket) Year 29, Peritios embolimos 6. From Sosos, asking whether he is to send Styrax with Pyrrhichos.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections Aegyptus 3 Boak AER 1922 284-286 SB III 6798 Boak AER, Aegyptus 3, 284-286, 1922 -- SB III 6798 PMich I Edgar CC 1931 28 Edgar CC, PMich I, 28, 1931
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- C.C. Edgar, Aegyptus 4 (1923) p. 79; U. Wilcken, Archiv 7 (1924) p. 245; H. Cadell-G. Le Rider, Prix du blé et numéraire dans l'Égypte lagide de 305 à 173 (Bruxelles, 1997) p. 35
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 3072 x 2320
- File Size
- 948 KB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 45; Verso". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-2212/45v_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 07, 2023.