Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 6.5 x 26 cm
- Conservation Status
- Badly damaged, with the middle portion nearly completely lost
- Ann Arbor
- IVth century A.D.
- purchased in Egypt by B.P. Grenfell and F.W. Kelsey in March-April 1920
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from Allous to her "mother" Faustina, asking to send her a certain amount of tow, so that she can spin it and sell her work for the benefit of her brother's orphaned children
- Subject Headings
- Greek letters--Egypt.
- Tow (Textiles)
- (unnamed) grammatephoros;
- (unnamed) orphans, nephews/nieces of Allous;
- To lady my mother Faustina, Allous, greetings in the Lord. Having chanced to use the letter-carrier I greet your motherly kindliness, my mother. Since it appears from your letter to me that it was [not] possible to come because of . . . [For the . . .] of my brother's orphaned children I, being a woman, cannot suffice. Therefore, if you have enough, send me via the letter-carrier two pounds of tow, so that I can spin and sell it for them. I greet you fondly. The little children greet you. I greet mother Kyriake. I pray for your good health.
- Papyri.info Link
- view the transcription of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections CE 52 Janssens M 1977 112-116 SB XIV 11881 Janssens M, CE 52, 112-116, 1977 -- SB XIV 11881
- Year Begin
- Year End
26447 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 4046 x 6378
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)