Background and Physical Properties
- Recto (written across the fibres) + Verso
- + P.S.I. VI 619; Zenon archive
- 11 x 16.5 cm (P.Mich.inv. 3225) + 17.5 x 16.5 cm (P.S.I. VI 619)
- Recto - 13 (12 on P.Mich. inv . 3225);
- Verso - 2
- Conservation Status
- damaged along some folds
- Palaeographic Description
- Recto written across the fibres
- Ann Arbor
- May 11, 248 or 247 B.C. (date of reception)
- Unknown place, Egypt
- Philadelpheia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- November 1925; Acquired from Brummer
- Pais, kybernetes
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Business Letter
- Letter to Zenon from Pais, the captain of a boat belonging to Zenon, concerning the share of the profits to be allotted to the sailors and the need to repair the boat
- Subject Headings
- Letter writing, Greek--Egypt.
- Memphis (Extinct city)
- Tax collection--Egypt.
- Ship captains--Egypt.
- Cargo ships--Egypt.
- Zenon (son of Agreophon) (see Pros.Ptol. I 80 + add.);
- Pais, kybernetes (see Pros.Ptol. V 13849);
- Memphis; Tephi <or Taphi>
- To Zenon greeting from Pais. I sailed up in the boat and we are being pestered by the man who collects the twelve-drachmai tax and we have not yet . . . We brought for Artemidoros to Memphis 500 artabai of wheat 'from Tephi' and he gave me 8 drachmai, which I spent on the boat. The sailors are not inclined to sail on the terms of a third share. Inquire at home on what terms they sail for monopoly trading and you will find that they sail on a half share. Now if you approve, write to me to repair the boat; for the opportunity has come and the boat-builders are free. The boat will then find work; for at present, as she is old, no one comes to deal with us; and if you wish, you will be able to let her for hire. I myself undertake to pay you 800 drachmai for her, on condition that she will be assigned in writing to monopoly trading. Write to me then if we are to begin work, in order that I may not sit idle in the boat with two other men. For we are getting nothing and are without the necessaries of life. Farewell.
- To Zenon.
- (Docket) Year 38, Phamenoth 20. Pais the boat-captain.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich I Edgar CC 1931 60 Edgar CC, PMich I, 60, 1931 -- BL III, 116 (lines 8-10); Pap.Lugd.Bat. XXI, p. 136 (date); BL X, 128 (bibliography) BL III, 116 (lines 8-10); Pap.Lugd.Bat. XXI, p. 136 (date); BL X, 128 (bibliography)
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- P. Viereck, Gnomon 9 (1933) p. 216-217; C.C. Edgar, Aegyptus 14 (1934) p. 119; G. Messeri Savorelli - R. Pintaudi, I papiri dell'archivio di Zenon a Firenze = Pap.Flor. XXIV (Firenze, 1993) p. 77-78.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26428 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 3480 x 4608
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)