Background and Physical Properties
- Recto (written across the fibres) + Verso
- + P.Cair. Inv. Nr. unknown; Zenon archive
- 16.2 x 10.3 cm
- Recto - 4;
- Verso - 3
- Conservation Status
- P.Mich.inv. 3217 is broken off on the right side; P.Cair. inv. unknown, on the left side, leaving the central part of the text missing
- Palaeographic Description
- Recto written across the fibres; in a fairly broad format (Tait)
- Ann Arbor
- July 21, 257 B.C. (date of reception)
- probably Alexandria, Egypt
- Philadelpheia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- November 1925; Acquired from Brummer
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Business Letter
- Letter from Menes to Zenon, to inform him of the capture o f a slave named Stachys, a few days after the capture of three others (see P.Lond. VII, 1951)
- Subject Headings
- Letter writing, Greek--Egypt.
- Arsinoë (Fayy¯um : Extinct city)
- Zenon (son of Agreophon) (see Pros.Ptol. I 80 + add.);
- Arsinoe (he Dionos)
- Menes to Zenon, greetings. [After sending off my previously] written letter, a little later I captured Stachys [- - - and], taking him to the house of Amyntas, I handed him over with the [other slaves. So we have now] written this (letter) to you to let you know and to save your anxiety. [Farewell. Year 29, Daisios . .]
- To Zenon.
- (Docket, 2nd hand) Menes concerning Stachys. Year 29, Daisios 21, in Arsinoe.
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich I Edgar CC 1931 18 Edgar CC, PMich I, 18, 1931 Pap.Lugd.Bat. XX Tait WJ 1980 36 Tait WJ, Pap.Lugd.Bat. XX, 36, 1980
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- Rep Editor - Scholl R; Rep Ser. - C.Ptol.Sklav. I; 1990; No. 65
- Year Begin
- Year End
26428 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 4608 x 3480
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)