Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- 12.1 x 15.8 cm
- Recto - 18;
- Verso - 5
- Conservation Status
- Complete; a bit damaged
- Ann Arbor
- (Shortly before) 210 B.C.
- unknown place
- perhaps Philadelpheia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- November 1925; Acquired from Brummer
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Business Letter
- Letter from Diogenes to Demetrios, asking hum to settle with collectors who are pressing for payment of taxes due on the operations of a vineyard
- Subject Headings
- Taxation (Land)
- Tax collection
- Demetrios (see ZPE 100  p. 72; 74);
- Ptolemaios son of Menestheus, logeuon ten epigraphen;
- Ptolemaios son of Herakleides, logeuon ten epigraphen;
- (unnamed) katamenios
- Diogenes to Demetrios, greeting. Know that we have been prevented from working by Ptolemaios, the son of Menestheus, and Ptolemaios, the son of Herakleides, who are collecting the epigraphe of two drachmai per metretes, and that they are saying that you have entered against you 140 drachmai for seventy keramia, and 10 drachmai for empty jars, equal 150 drachmai. You will then do well to see to it that we will not be vexed. And as regards vine cuttings, the monthly labourer is not prepared to bring them down if he does not receive money. Farewell.
- See to it then yourself that the wood is tied together and if it is moved anywhere, let me know.
- To Demetrios.
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich X Browne GM 1970 601 pl. VIII (Recto) Browne GM, PMich X, 601, 1970, pl. VIII (Recto) -- BL VII, 114,12,19-21 (date; l. 12; 19-21) BL VII, 114,12,19-21 (date; l. 12; 19-21) ZPE 48 Clarysse W 1982 133-134 (l. 15-22 only) SB XVIII, 13861 Clarysse W, ZPE 48, 133-134 (l. 15-22 only), 1982 -- SB XVIII, 13861
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- F. Uebel, BibO 30 (1973) p. 420; H.C. Youtie, ZPE 23 (1976) p. 117-118 and pl. Xc (Verso) [= H.C. Youtie, Scriptiunculae Posteriores I (Bonn, 1981) p. 369-370]; R. Kassel, Chalkoi = 'Geld', ZPE 50 (1983) p. 50 [= R. Kassel, Kleine Schriften (Berlin - New York, 1991) p. 433-434]; T. Gagos-P.J. Sijpesteijn, ZPE 100 (1994) p. 69; 72-74.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26428 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 3480 x 4537
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)