Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 9.5 x 28.8 cm
- Conservation Status
- Complete, but damaged along some folds and at the bottom; faded at places
- Palaeographic Description
- The first hand stylistically resembles the first hand of P.Mich. V, 266, from Tebtynis, and the contemporary hands in contracts from Oxyrhynchus. (Boak)
- Ann Arbor
- September 26, 38 A.D.
- July 1925; Acquired from Dr. Kondilios
- Maron, son of Melankomas, and Eukrates, son of Herakleides
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Application to Sublease Date Crop
- Application addressed by Maron, son of Melankomas, and Eukrates, son of Herakleides, to Herakleides, son of Pnepheros, by which they request the right to sublease from him two-thirds of the crop of a palm grove
- Subject Headings
- Herakleides son of Pnepheros;
- Maron son of Melankomas;
- Eukrates son of Herakleides;
- Gaius, Emperor
- To Herakleides, son of Pnepheros, from Maron, son of Melankomas, and Eukrates, son of Herakleides. We wish to lease two-thirds of the date crop which arrived at maturity in the present third year of Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus and which you hold on lease. We promise to pay, for the whole, a rent of twenty-six drachmai of coined silver and . . . obols, and we will pay it in the month of Tybi of the same year, if it appears good to lease to us on the aforesaid terms.
- Year 3 of Gaius Caesar Augustus, 29th of the month of Augustus.
- Eukrates, son of Herakleides, 30 years old, with a scar on the lower part of the left cheek.
- (2nd hand) I, Maron, son of Melankomas, have also submitted the aforesaid application. And we will pay one artaba of Syrian dates by the dromos-measure for dates.
- Year 4 of Gaius Caesar Augustus, 29th of the month of Augustus.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich XII Browne GM 1975 630 Browne GM, PMich XII, 630, 1975
- Year Begin
- Year End
26424 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 3480 x 4608
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)