P.Mich.inv. 3139 / Verso
About this Item
front | detail (1 items)
back | detail (1 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto (written across the fibres) + Verso
- + P.Cair. inv. Nr. unknown; Zenon archive
- 17.3 x 10.5 cm (Michigan fragment only)
- Recto - 7;
- Verso - 3 (Michigan fragment: 1 only)
- Conservation Status
- a few letters missing between the two fragments; broken on the right side
- Palaeographic Description
- Recto written across the fibres
- Ann Arbor
- July or August, 254 B.C.
- Unknown place, Egypt
- Philadelpheia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- July 1925; Acquired from Dr. Kondilios
- Ag[- - -], Phanotheos & Peton
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Letter Summoning a Defendant
- Letter sent by a board of three judges (chrematistai) to Zenon, asking him to deliver a copy of a complaint to the defendant, Neoptolemos, and to send him to them for trial
- Subject Headings
- Letter writing, Greek--Egypt.
- Complaints (Civil procedure)--Egypt.
- Ag[- - -], (chrematistes) (see Pros.Ptol. III, 7956);
- Phanotheos, (chrematistes) (see Pros.Ptol. III, 8012);
- Peton, (chrematistes) (see Pros.Ptol. III, 8002);
- Zenon (son of Agreophon) (see Pros.Ptol. I 80 + add.);
- Ag[- - -], Phanotheos (and) Peton to Zenon greeting. We have [sent you] a copy of the petition sent to us from Theon, [which] Onnophris [presented] against Neoptolemos. Deliver the indictment(?) then to Neoptolemos [and] send him to us in order that he may be tried on the charge of his accuser [- - -]. If he fails to appear, we will pronounce judgment against him in favour of [the petitioner's claims(?)]. And also write to us. Farewell. Year 32, Daisios [. . .].
- To Zenon.
- (Docket, 2nd hand) Year 32, Epeiph 20. Against Neoptolemos.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich I Edgar CC 1931 39 Edgar CC, PMich I, 39, 1931 -- BL V, 70 (line 5). - L. 1: read Phanotheos rather than Phinotheos (= Philotheos?). (PH) BL V, 70 (line 5). - L. 1: read Phanotheos rather than Phinotheos (= Philotheos?). (PH)
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- E. Seidl, Ptolemaeische Rechtsgeschichte (Glueckstadt, 1962) p. 90-91.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 4608 x 3480
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 3139; Verso". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-1829/3139v_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed February 04, 2023.