P.Mich.inv. 3135 / Recto
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
- Inventory Number
- P.Mich.inv. 3135
- Processing Number
- Recto + Verso
- Image Side
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto (written across the fibres) + Verso
- + P.Cair. inv. JdE 48528 (P.Cair.Zen. I, 59080); Zenon archive
- P.Mich.inv. 3135: 16 x 12.5 cm (P.Cair. inv. Nr. JdE 48528: 16 x 12.5 cm)
- Recto - 9;
- Verso - 3 (on P.Cair. inv. Nr. JdE 48528)
- Conservation Status
- P.Mich.inv. 3217 is broken off on the left side; P.Cair. inv. Nr. JdE 48528, on the right side, leaving the central part of the text missing; both fragments damaged on the other edge
- Ann Arbor
- July 21, 257 B.C. (date of reception)
- probably Memphis, Memphite nome, Egypt
- Philadelpheia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- July 1925; Acquired from Dr. Kondilios
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Letter of complaint
- Letter sent to Zenon by the weaver Iollas, who had been severely flogged, probably by order of Addaios, and had intended to run away to Zenon for protection, but was prevented from doing that by Zenodoros who made him write the letter instead; see also P.S.I. VII, 854
- Subject Headings
- Letter writing, Greek--Egypt.
- Iollas, hyphantes (see Pros.Ptol. V 12765);
- Zenon (son of Agreophon) (see Pros.Ptol. I 80 + add.);
- Zenodoros (see Pros.Ptol. V 12752; Pap.Lugd.Bat. XXI, p. 332);
- Bia (see Pros.Ptol. V 12752);
- 5 (unnamed) Aigyptioi mastigophoroi; Addaios
- Aigyptios; Arsinoe (he Dionos)
- Iollas to Zenon greetings. I have given you [my oath about the fact that - - -] and that I heard badly of him. When I heard that you were <Read: he was?> angry at me, I came to [- - -] and clasped his knees (in supplication). For 'Zenodoros' didn't permit me to go [[to Bia]] 'to him'. Now [after learning] the orders [you gave to] Zenodoros, [he] didn't obey [anymore to] Zenodoros, [but - - -] five scourge-bearing Egyptian men [- - - he] whipped me brutally, so that my skin was even cut through and now [- - -] has <Read: I] have?> been even worse treated by [him]. I was about to run away and go to you [- - -] Zenodoros prevented me (from doing so), in order that the work, he said, may not be [hindered], but he asked me to write word to you. Now [- - -] but, when you will be here, all that happened will be reported to you. For Bia is the one who commits the outrages [- - -] For she(?) makes herself master of us and of that man. May you prosper.
- To Zenon.
- (Docket, 2nd hand) Iollas the weaver about addaios and how they have treated him with violence. [Year 29], Daisios 21, in Arsinoe.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections P.Cair.Zen. I Edgar CC 1925 59080 Edgar CC, P.Cair.Zen. I, 59080, 1925 C.Ptol.Sklav. II Scholl R 1990 205 Scholl R, C.Ptol.Sklav. II, 205, 1990 -- End of line 3: the restitution e.g. of the ed.pr. ([alla prosegagen]) must be rejected, as the 6th or 7th letter after Zenodoroi is clearly a phi. Line 7: read hos d'an instead of hos an; the restitution e.g. ei]pen must then be rejected. (PH) End of line 3: the restitution e.g. of the ed.pr. ([alla prosegagen]) must be rejected, as the 6th or 7th letter after Zenodoroi is clearly a phi. Line 7: read hos d'an instead of hos an; the restitution e.g. ei]pen must then be rejected. (PH)
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- P.Mich. I, 19.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 4608 x 3480
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 3135; Recto". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-1825/3135r_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed December 07, 2023.