P.Mich.inv. 3129 / Verso
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (2 items)
back | summary (1 items)
back | detail (1 items)
- Inventory Number
- P.Mich.inv. 3129
- Processing Number
- Recto + Verso
- Image Side
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto (written across the fibres) + Verso
- Zenon archive
- 23.5 x 12.7 cm
- Recto - 8;
- Verso - 4
- Conservation Status
- broken off on the right side
- Palaeographic Description
- Recto written across the fibres
- Ann Arbor
- July 28, 257 B.C. (date of reception)
- probably Alexandria, Egypt
- Philadelpheia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, Egypt
- July 1925; Acquired from Dr. Kondilios
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Business Letter
- Letter from Apollonios, an employee of the dioiketes, who begs Zenon to send him some hay for the horses, as his stock is almost finished and it is difficult to buy any in Alexandria
- Subject Headings
- Letter writing, Greek--Egypt.
- Horses--Feeding and feeds--Egypt.
- Apollonios (polodamastes?) (see Pros.Ptol. V 13589);
- Zenon (son of Agreophon) (see Pros.Ptol. I 80 + add.)
- Arsinoe he Dionos
- Apollonios to Zenon. When you were staying here [I warned you that] in a very short time we should have no lay left for the horses, and now [I find it necessary] to write to you about this matter. In order then that the horses may not [suffer through want] of provender, will you kindly take steps at once [to have hay sent to us]? For it is not easy to buy it in town on account [of the old stock being exhausted] and the new crop scanty; otherwise we would have done so. [Know that we] have not enough hay for a single day; so if you do not take thought at once, the horses will be falling ill. [Farewell].
- To Zenon.
- (Docket, 2nd hand) Apollonios about hay for the horses. (Received) year 29, Daisios 28, in Arsinoe of Dion.
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich I Edgar CC 1931 21 Edgar CC, PMich I, 21, 1931
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 4608 x 3480
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 3129; Verso". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-1818/3129v_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed August 19, 2022.