Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 22.5 x 14 cm
- Conservation Status
- complete, except some damage along the lower left fold
- Palaeographic Description
- writing along the fibres. 1st hand: heavy and not very distinct cursive with a tendency to run several letters together; probably a professional scribe. 2nd hand (l. 18-24): smaller and more distinct
- Ann Arbor
- reign of Probus: 276-282 A.D. (January 11/12)
- probably either Karanis, Herakleidou meris, or Arsinoiton polis, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Aurelia Taesis
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Contract of obligation of service (paramone)
- Acknowledgment made by Aurelia Taesis to Aurelia Thaisarion that she has contracted a debt towards her and will stay at her service in place of interests, until she can repay the debt
- Subject Headings
- Debtor and creditor--Egypt.
- Aurelia Taesis daughter of Asklepiades and Sarapous;
- Asklepiades, (deceased?) father of Aurelia Taesis;
- Aurelia Thaisarion daughter of Komon;
- Aurelios Horion son of Soterichos;
- Probus, Emperor
- Memphis; Karanis; amphodon Phremei (Arsinoiton polis)
- Aurelia Taesis, daughter of Asklepiades and Sarapous, from the city of Memphis, has acknowledged to have received from Aurelia Thaisarion, daughter of Komon, from the village of Karanis, the capital sum of one myriad eight-thousand (18,000) silver drachmai, i.e. three talents, which, as Aurelia Taesis has further acknowledged, have been paid for a debt of her aforementioned father Asklepiades; and that she, the first party, will of necessity stay by Aurelia Thaisarion, performing the weaving and houselhold tasks that she knows in place of the interests of the capital sum. If she wants to give up, (she acknowledges that) she will also of necessity repay the aforementioned three talents of silver without delay, and that the right of execution on demand shall rest with Aurelia Thaisarion against the first party, Aurelia Thaesis, or against all her property, as if in accordance with a legal decision. This document written as a single copy shall be valid, anywhere it may be produced. And in response to the formal question, she has so agreed.
- (2nd hand) I, Aurelia Taesis, have received the aforementioned thre talents of silver and shall stay (by her) for service of my craft and other household tasks. If I give up, I shall repay the aforementioned money, as aforementioned. And in response to the formal question, I have so agreed. I, Aurelius Horion son of Soterichos, from the quarter of Phremei, have written for her because she is illiterate.
- [In the . . . year] of our lord Probus Augustus, Tybi 15.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections ASAE 29 Boak AER 1929 47-49 SB IV 7358 Boak AER, ASAE 29, 47-49, 1929 -- SB IV 7358 -- BL II 2, 134-135 (on lines 6,18); BL VI, 136; BL VII, 192-193 (on lines 2-5,12, 14-18, 22, 24, 25). BL II 2, 134-135 (on lines 6,18); BL VI, 136; BL VII, 192-193 (on lines 2-5,12, 14-18, 22, 24, 25). ZPE 13 Youtie HC 1974 235-237 Pl. XIV Youtie HC, ZPE 13, 235-237, 1974, Pl. XIV
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- U. Wilcken, Archiv 10 (1931) p. 90; I.F. Fikhman, Jegipet na rubezhe dvukh epokh (Moscow, 1965) p. 92, n. 520.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- In public portfolios
- Karanis Weavers items: 15, owner: preater
- 2320 x 3072
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)