Background and Physical Properties
- Recto +Verso
- 17.7 X 20 cm
- Recto - 9
- Verso - 3
- Yes (Recto and Verso)
- Conservation Status
- some losses along the folds
- Palaeographic Description
- See electronic version of PMich VIII, 483
- reign of Hadrian
- unknown place (perhaps Alexandria?), province of Egypt(?)
- Karanis, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Iulius Clemens
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter from the centurion Iulius Clemens to Sokration son of Horeinos, thanking him for sending olive oil to Ptolemaios
- Subject Headings
- Olive oil--Egypt.
- Iulius Clemens, centurion (see also P. Mich. VI, 484);
- Sokration son of Horeinos;
- Hadrianus, Emperor
- Iulius Clemens, centurion, to his most esteemed Sokration, greeting. I thank you for your kindness about the olive oil, as Ptolemaios wrote to me that he had received it. And do you write to me about what you may need, knowing that I gladly do everything for you. (2nd hand) I pray for your good health, my most esteemed friend.
- Year . . . of Trajan Hadrian Augustus, Phamenoth . . . .
- (Verso) To Sokration, son of Horeinos, from Iulius Clemens, of the legion XXII Deioteriana.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections CP 22 Winter JG 1927 247-9 SB IV 7355 Winter JG, CP 22, 247-9, 1927 -- SB IV 7355 PMich VIII Winter JG-Youtie HC 1951 483 Winter JG-Youtie HC, PMich VIII, 483, 1951 -- BL VIII, 215 (line 9) BL VIII, 215 (line 9)
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- P.J. Sijpesteijn, ZPE 49 (1982) p. 101.
- Add to Portfolio
- 2758 x 2201
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)