Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 5.9 x 10.8 cm.
- Conservation Status
- Although complete, a sizeable part of the middle section of the text has been lost and the entire sheet is practically divided into two halves.
- Palaeographic Description
- This text is written in a crude, unpractised style, with little attention to word division between lines. Palaeographically, it exhibits some similarities with P. Mich. III 10, plate VI, No. 6864 (middle of 7th cent.) and OMH 61, plate 1 (7th/8th cent.).
- Ann Arbor
- VIIth/VIIIth century A.D.
- November 1924
- subliterary; magic
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Christian amulet
- This text is an amulet on vellum, containing the titles and first words of each of the four Gospels, with magical symbols at the bottom. Such amulets were valued in antiquity for their magical efficacy.
- Subject Headings
- Magic--Religious aspects--Christianity.
- "The Holy Gospel according to Matthew. The book of the generation of Jesus the Christ, the son of David.
- The Gospel according to Mark. The beginning of the Gospel of Jesus the Christ.
- The Gospel according to Luke. Since many have have undertaken to write the words.
- The Gospel according to John. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was in the presence of God.
- (Magic signs)."
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMichCopt Worrell WH 1942 18 Worrell WH, PMichCopt, 18, 1942 Mich Coptic Texts Browne GM 1979 12 Browne GM, Mich Coptic Texts, 12, 1979
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- In public portfolios
- Early Christianity items: 142, owner: laurence.broadhurst (*)
- 2563 x 4583
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)