Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- Archive of the strategos Tryphon concerning his dispute with Isidoros, son of Isidoros, of Psophthis
- 21 x 19.5 cm.
- Conservation Status
- This papyrus is badly damaged, and it has suffered irreparable damage after the first three lines. Therefore the text is incomplete: the top and side margins are only partially preserved; bottom margin entirely lost. A kollesis appears at a distance of 17 cm. from left margin.
- Palaeographic Description
- Written in an elegant and upright cursive which finds parallels among other documents of the Augustan period (cp. P. Mert. 1.8 = R. Seider, Palaeographie 1, no. 21, and P. Med. inv. 68.41 = SB 12.11016, photo in O. Montevecchi, La Papirologia, tav. 35). Numerous corrections and interlinear additions in inv. 1436 are missing in inv. 1440. Furthermore, the writer's last thoughts on lines 6, 8 and 9 in inv. 1436, recorded interlinearly (lines 6a and 8a) or cancelled (line 9), are not incorporated at these same points in the text of inv. 1440. Rather, inv. 1440 agrees with the text of 1436 before correction. The more likely assumption, then, is that inv. 1440 was a subsequent copy of inv. 1436. It is also likely that there were additional rewritings, now lost; this notion receives further support from the fact that although inv. is without correction, this clean copy was apparently not dispatched, but was unearthed together with the much-corrected copy, inv. 1436, presumably at Philadelphia, the village in the Arsinoite nome where the petitioner suffered the wrong to which he draws the attention of the prefect in the hope of redress (inv. 1440.8-9 = inv. 1436.2-3).
- Ann Arbor
- January (?), 6 A.D.
- Philadelphia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Philadelphia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt (?)
- Obtained from Dr. Askren; arrived to the University with the Nahman lot (1262-1408) in January, 1924
- Isidoros, son of Isidoros
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- This papyrus contains a copy of the petition partly preserved in P. Mich. inv. 1436 (cf. palaeographical description): inv. 1436, lines 2-10 recur in inv. 1440, lines 11-17. In this petition Isidoros, son of Isidoros, from Sophthis in the Memphite nome, protests the illegal behaviour of Tryphon, the strategos of the Arsinoite nome. Through his agents, Tryphon appears to have forced Isidoros to make s sworn statement (cheirographia) regarding the sowing of seed grain land at Philadelphia. Although Isidoros submitted the cheirographia as directed (inv. 1440.16 = inv. 1436.8-9), he came to resent the compulsion put upon him by Tryphon and his agents, and to consider the imposition, because he was from Sophthis in the Memphite nome, which was Isidoros' idia, and where he was registered for tax purposes.
- Publius Ostorius Scapula,
- Isidoros, son of Isidoros,
- Tryphon, strategos of the Arsinoite nome
- Psophthis in the Memphite nome,
- Arsinoite nome,
- Philadelphia of the Herakleides meris,
- [This translation incorporates the revisions introduced in inv . 1436. 6a-11.]
- "To Publius Ostorius Scapula
- from Isidoros, son of Isidoros, from the village of Psophthis in the Memphite (nome). I am registered for laographia at the aforementoned village; as the case is, . . . the agents of Tryphon, strategos of the Arsinoite nome . . . compelled me in a torturous manner (?) . . . in Choiak of the current year to present a cheirographiainvolving sowing the land at the village of Philadelphia of the Herakleides division . . . five arourai, although neither I nor the men associated with me farm at Philadelphia. Since this is illegal, I beg you, the benefactor of all, if it seems good, to assign that an order be written to Tryphon not to dun me about these matters, because I am not from the nome, but to turn over to me the cheirographia referred to, so that I may be benefitted. Farewell."
- Papyri.info Link
- view the transcription of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections ZPE 47 Hanson AE 1982 233-43 Pl XIV Hanson AE, ZPE 47, 233-43, 1982, Pl XIV -- BL VIII, 385 (l. 4; 5-6; 10-11; date) BL VIII, 385 (l. 4; 5-6; 10-11; date) BASP 21 Hanson AE 1984 82-3 SB XVI 12713 Hanson AE, BASP 21, 82-3, 1984 -- SB XVI 12713 -- BL IX, 290; BL XI, 220; BL IX, 290; BL XI, 220;
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- A.E. Hanson, Akten des 21. Internationalen Papyrologenkongresses. Berlin, 13.-19.8.1995 (Stuttgart - Leipzig, 1997) p. 413-423
- HENGSTL Joachim, Das Archiv des Isidoros aus Psophthis aus rechtshistorischer Sicht, in : Bernhard PALME (Hg.), Akten des 23. Internationalen Papyrologenkongresses. Wien, 22.-28. Juli 2001 = Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften. Philosophisch-historische Klasse. Kommission für antike Rechtsgeschichte. Papyrologica Vindobonensia. 1 (Wien, 2007) pp. 274-278.
- Year Begin
- Year End
26447 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 6099 x 5509
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)