P.Mich.inv. 1427 / Recto
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso contains traces of writing
- 13.5 x 25 cm.
- Conservation Status
- This medium-brown papyrus is regularly cut at all sides, but the top part of the text is lost. Five vertical folds still visible. A little over the middle of the document it is divided by a horizontal tear which has caused significant damage and loss of some text. Several small patches of papyri are glued on to the verso to bridge that tear and hold the two pieces together. A vertical tear at the top left side of the document almost separates another part of the original document from its main part. (TC)
- Palaeographic Description
- Written in two different hands: the first hand is small, beautiful, and almost literary in its appearance. The second hand is a crude and clumsy cursive, which was clearly written by a hastier and much less experienced hand. (TC)
- Ann Arbor
- October 30, 4 B.C.
- Oxyrhynchite nome, Middle Egypt, province of Egypt
- Oxyrhynchite nome, Middle Egypt, province of Egypt (?)
- January 1924; Acquired with Nahman lot
- hd. I:unknown
- hd. II: Demetrios, son of Theon
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- land lease
- The text presented here is a papyrus contract in which Demetrios, son of Theon, leases to one Theonios at least four parcels of land. Together with the top of the papyrus there has been lost a clause stating the duration of the contract, but the provision to renew the lease for part of the land "next year" (ll. 34 f) shows that the bulk of the property was rented only for the single year in which the agreement was drawn up, 4/3 B.C.
- Demetrios, son of Theon,
- Caesar (Augustus).
- Little Panchylis,
- ". . .he shall sow in arakos, at a rent for the land in barley and arakos of two artabas of wheat (per aroura), the total land area in arouras to be determined by survey by rectangular measurement. And he shall sow the canal with grass on terms of equal partnership, so that each partner equally receives half (the crop). Demetrios shall receive his half cut by Thoonios at his own (Demetrios') expense. And the six arouras which previously belonged to Neoptolemos shall be made ready for cultivation by the lessee, on condition that after the sowing Demetrios supplies him with a team of oxen free of charge until they (the arouras) are ready for cultivation. The rent is free of all risk.
- And Demetrios acknowledges that he has received from Thoonios the price of eight artabas of wheat, on account of the cutting of kyperis; and by this amount he shall reduce the rent. And Thoonios shall provide Demetrios with a dinner at Little Panchylis whenever in Pachon Demetrios chooses.
- If the lessee is forced to pay public dues or other charges in whatever manner for Demetrios or the land, a deduction shall be made from the rental. Demetrios and his assignees shall own the crops till he receives his rent. He (Demetrios) shall guarantee him (Thoonios) this lease with every guarantee; and it being guaranteed, he (Thoonios) shall deliver the rent to Demetrios in Payni next year [sic] on the threshing-floors near the farmstead of Deilos in new, clean, unadulterated wheat, unmixed with barley, (measured) by Thoonios' four-choinix measure. Otherwise, he shall pay as the price for each artaba which he fails to deliver four thousand copper drachmas. He must pay double rent for any land he leaves unsown. For abandoning his farming he must pay a penalty, in addition to the foregoing ones, of two hundred silver drachmas, plus an equal amount to the state. Demetrios shall have right of execution against the lessee and all his property as if in consequence of a legal decision. And Thoonios shall lease the arouras of barley next year, and for these he shall pay rent at five artabas of wheat per aroura. This lease is valid.
- Year 27 of Caesar, Hathyr 3.
- (2nd hd.) I, Demetrios, son of Theon, have granted the lease; and I have received the price of the eight artabas of wheat, by which I shall reduce the rent as stated. Year 27 of Caesar, Hathyr 3."
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections TAPA 101 Shelton JC 1970 489-96 SB XII 10942 Shelton JC, TAPA 101, 489-96, 1970 -- SB XII 10942
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 4689 x 6378
- File Size
- 4 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 1427; Recto". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-1427/1427r.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed August 10, 2022.