P.Mich.inv. 1367 / Verso
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (6 items)
back | summary (1 items)
back | detail (3 items)
- Inventory Number
- P.Mich.inv. 1367
- Processing Number
- Recto + Verso
- Image Side
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto + Verso
- Archive of Ploutogenia, Paniskos's wife
- 24.7 x 11 cm
- Recto - 32 + 1 in left margin;
- Verso - 3
- Conservation Status
- Damaged along some folds
- Palaeographic Description
- A large, practised hand, with sweeping strokes in alpha and kappa, and with a marked tendency to separate words (Winter)
- Ann Arbor
- ca. 296-297 A.D.
- Koptos, Coptite nome, province of Egypt
- Philadelphia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- January 1924; Acquired with Nahman lot
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Private Letter
- Letter sent by Paniskos to his wife Ploutogenia, requesting her to come to Koptos
- Subject Headings
- Qift (Egypt)--Social life and customs.
- Egyptian letters--Egypt--Qift.
- Gold jewelry, Ancient--Egypt--Qift.
- Intercessory prayer.
- Travel, Ancient.
- Weapons, Ancient--Egypt|Qift.
- Paniskos, husband of Ploutogenia;
- Ploutogenia, wife of Paniskos;
- (unnamed) sister of Ploutogenia (& children);
- (unnamed) brothers of Ploutogenia;
- (Heliodora), mother of Ploutogenia;
- Heliodora, daughter of Paniskos and Ploutogenia;
- Paniskos, to my wife Ploutogenia, mother of my daughter, very many greetings. First <of all> I pray daily for your good health in the presence of all the gods. I would have you know then, sister, that we have been staying in Koptos near [[my]] your sister and her children, so that you may not be grieved about coming to Koptos; for your kinsfolk are here. And just as you desire above all to greet her with many greetings, so she prays daily to the gods desiring to greet you along with your mother. So when you have received this letter of mine make your preparations in order that you may come at once if I send for you. And when you come, bring ten shearing of wool, six jars of olives, four jars of honeyed wine (stagma), and my shield, the new one only, and my helmet. Bring also my lances. Bring also the fittings of the tent. If you find an opportunity, come here with good men. Let Nonnos come with you. Bring all our clothes when you come. When you come, bring your gold ornaments, but
- (continued in the left margin:) do not wear them on the boat.
- I salute my lady daughter Heliodora. Hermias salutes you.
- (Address) Deliver to my wife and my daughter, from Paniskos, her father.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections JEA 13 Winter JG 1927 61-63 Pl. XXIV SB III 7247 Winter JG, JEA 13, 61-63, 1927, Pl. XXIV -- SB III 7247 Select Papyri I Hunt AS - Edgar CC 1932 155 Hunt AS - Edgar CC, Select Papyri I, 155, 1932
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- Rep Editor - Winter JG; Rep Ser. - PMich III; 1936; Pg_No 214
- Rep Editor - Zilliacus H; Rep Ser. - Zur Sprache griechischer Familienbriefe; 1943; Pg-No 13-14
Information on Publications--Bibliography
- U. Wilcken, Sitzungsb. d. preuss. Akad. d. Wissensch. 26 (1927) p. 275; V. Martin, Archiv 9 (1928) p. 218-221; J. Schwartz, Aegyptus 48 (1968) p. 110-115; H. Chouliara-Raios - G. Wagner, ZPE 84 (1990) p. 69-74; A. Nobbs, AH 16 (1986) p. 132-136;
- Time to Scan
- Scanner Initials
- Date Scanned
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 3042 x 2314
- File Size
- 937 KB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 1367; Verso". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-1409/1367v_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed October 03, 2022.