P.Mich.inv. 1267 / Recto
About this Item
front | summary (1 items)
front | detail (3 items)
Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- Archive of Kronion son of Apion, nomographos of the grapheion of Tebtynis
- 19.7 x 31.1 cm
- Demotic - 16;
- Greek - 1 + 14
- Conservation Status
- frayed at the top; some damage along one of the folds
- Ann Arbor
- August 28, 30 A.D.
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Acquired from Nahman; reached the University in 1923
- Demotic and Greek
- Thermouthis daughter of Marepsemis
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Sale of Part of Two Rooms
- Demotic contract for the sale of a half share in two rooms, made by Thermouthis, daughter of Marepsemis, to her son, Eutychos the elder; the subscriptions are in Greek, as well as the date which was added at the top of the papyrus
- Tiberius, Emperor;
- Thermouthis daughter of Marepsemis and Demarion, (wife of Eutychos) (see also P.Mich. V, p. 20-21);
- . . . alias Eutos = Eutychos tritos son of Eutychos and Thermouthis, guardian of Thermouthis (see also P.Mich. V, p. 20-21);
- *Jijoj = Eutychos presbyteros son of *Jijoj = Eutychos alias *Takn-lain and of Thermouthis (see also P.Mich. V, p. 20-21);
- Petenephies son of Orseus (alias?) Achis <or: son of Orseus grandson of Achis>;
- Kames (& unnamed brothers);
- (unnamed) sons of Nephies
- Tebtynis, Polemonos meris, Arsinoite nome; canal of Moeris
- (Greek date) 16th year, 5th intercalary day of Mesore.
- (Demotic) Year 16 of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, fifth month of the third season, the (days of) illumination, day 5. The woman Thermouthis, daughter of Marepsemis, her mother being Demarion, has said to *Jijoj, the elder, (son of) *Jijoj, who is called *Takn-lain, her son being present and acting for her as guardian . . . who is called Eutos (sic), his mother being Thermouthis: "You have satisfied my heart (with the) silver of the price of my half share of this room which is built <read: this room of a house?> which is equipped with beams and doors downstairs . . ., together with my half share of the way of entrance and exit, together with my half share of this bedroom (in) the third story, he having authority against her in the gate of the courtyard (?), (in the) Souchos town of Tebtynis (in) the division of Polemon, on the south side of the canal of Moeris, (in the) Arsinoite nome. The boundaries of the entire, undivided house: south the house of Pete- - - together with its courtyard; north, (the) house of Kames and his brothers; west, the royal road; east, the courtyard of - - -. No man in the world, nor I likewise, shall be able to exercise authority over them, except you, from this date. He that shall come to you on account of them, I will cause him to be far from you in respect of them, of necessity, without delay, and I will cause it to be clear for you from every writing, every document, everything in the world. Yours is every writing [which has been made] concerning them and every writing which has been made (for) my father (or) my mother concerning them and every writing which has been made for me concerning them. Yours - - - together with their law. The oath (and the) confirmation which shall be required of you (to) cause that I make it, I will make it.
- (Greek subscriptions) (1st hand) I, Thermouthis, daughter of Marepsemis, my mother being Demarion, with my guardian, my son, Eutychos the third, son of Eutychos, acknowledge that I have sold to my elder son, Eutychos, son of Eutychos, the half share, belonging to me by inheritance from my mother, of a room on the ground floor, and on the roof another half share of a so-called bedroom, unplastered, and of all the appurtenances, in Tebtynis, and of the entrances and exits. The neighbors of the whole house are: on the south, the house and court of Petenephies, son of Orseus Achis; on the north the house and court of Kames and others; on the west the royal road; and on the east the lots of the sons of Nephies. In return for this property we have received from Eutychos the elder the entire price fixed and agreed upon, in full, from hand to hand, out of the house, and we shall guarantee the sale with every guarantee from both public and private encumbrances and from every impost as aforesaid. I, Eutychos the 3rd, son of Eutychos, wrote for my mother because she is illiterate, and I have been appointed her guardian.
- (2nd hand) Eutychos the elder, son of Eutychos. The sale was made to me as aforesaid.
- Papyri.info Link
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PMich V Edgerton WF - Husselman EM 1944 253 Edgerton WF - Husselman EM, PMich V, 253, 1944 -- L. 1 (of the Greek text): read heates for heautes; l. 2: read prosbytero for presbytero; l. 9: read Eutychou prosbyterou ten, instead of Eutychou presbyterou Eutychou ten; l. 12: read Eutychos 3- Eutychou, instead of Eutychos Eutychou; l. 14: read gegon' eis me, instead of gegone eis me. (PH) L. 1 (of the Greek text): read heates for heautes; l. 2: read prosbytero for presbytero; l. 9: read Eutychou prosbyterou ten, instead of Eutychou presbyterou Eutychou ten; l. 12: read Eutychos 3- Eutychou, instead of Eutychos Eutychou; l. 14: read gegon' eis me, instead of gegone eis me. (PH)
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Image Size
- 4608 x 3480
- File Size
- 2 MB
- Link to this Item
Rights and Permissions
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
Cite this Item
View the Help Guide for more information.
- Full citation
"P.Mich.inv. 1267; Recto". https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/apis/x-1350/1267r_a.tif. University of Michigan Library Digital Collections. Accessed August 19, 2022.