Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 9.4 x 21.2 cm
- Conservation Status
- Light-brown papyrus regularly cut off at all sides. Nokolleseis visible. One fold visible along the left margin of the text. Minor abrasions at the top and in the center.
- Palaeographic Description
- 1st hand (1-30): written in a small and flowing semicursive hand; 2nd hand (30-35) in a quicker hand sloping slightly to the right. Generous margins to the left (1.5 cm.), at th etop (2 cm) and at the bottom (4.2 cm)
- Ann Arbor
- 119 A.D
- Philadelphia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Philadelphia, Herakleidou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt (?)
- In 1922 through the agency of the British Museum for Cornell University; handed over to the University of Michigan in 1972.
- Lucius Vettius . . .
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Lucius Vettius leases farm land with date palms from Lucius Longinus Fronto
- Subject Headings
- Agricultural laborers--Egypt--Philadelphia (Extinct city)
- Date palm--Egypt--Philadelphia (Extinct city)
- Land tenure--Egypt--Philadelphia (Extinct city)
- Lucius Longinus Fronto,
- Frontinus Longinus Apella,
- Lucius Vettius. . .
- "To Lucius Longinus Frontinus, through Frontinus Longinus Apella, from Luccius Vettius . . . I wish to lease from you one and a half aroura of land near Philadelphia belonging to Fronto, in which are scattered date palms whatsoever he may now be growing, the land being also an undivided portion of a three aroura plot, for four years, namely four fruit crops, four sown crops, (reckoning) the date palms on the basis that all the hanging fruits of the present 3rd year of Hadrianus Caesar our lord are included in the 4 years' crops, and the farm plot as (leased) from the coming 4 years' crop, the rent of the farm land and the date palms to be one hundred and twenty drachmas annually without deductions and without risk, the farm labors resting upon me, the lessee. And I will pay the rent as follow, in . . . forty drachmas, and the remaining eighty drachmas in the month of . . . And at the end of the time I will hand back the farm plot after the harvest, if it is agreed to make the lease. 2nd hand. I, Lucius Longinus, through Apella, have made the lease on all the foregoing conditions as laid down above. Year 3 of Hadrian our lord, Mesore 30th."
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PCorn Westermann WL - Kraemer CJ 1926 10 Westermann WL - Kraemer CJ, PCorn, 10, 1926 -- BL II.2,47 on lines 7-8;IV,24 on line 8;III,46 on line 12; VIII, 89 on line 10; X on the dating. BL II.2,47 on lines 7-8;IV,24 on line 8;III,46 on line 12; VIII, 89 on line 10; X on the dating.
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- 3840 x 5397
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)