Background and Physical Properties
- Recto; Verso is blank
- 10.5 x 26.7 cm.
- Conservation Status
- This light-brown papyrus is in good condition with only two minuscule abrasions in the center part. Three vertical folds and both abrasions are located along one of these. Edges are regularly cut at the top, at the right and at the bottom, whereas the left edge of the papyrus is irregular.
- Palaeographic Description
- 1st hand isan upright, very clear and regular semicursive. 2nd hand is a quik cursive sloping to the right.On the left edge, the beginnings of the lines have been cut off. Margins have been left at the top (1.3 cm.) and at the bottom (8.2 cm.).
- Ann Arbor
- 298 A.D.
- Theadelphia, Themistou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt
- Theadelphia, Themistou meris, Arsinoite nome, province of Egypt (?)
- In 1922 through the agency of the British Museum for Cornell University; handed over to the University of Michigan in 1972.
- Aurelios [...], son of Nilammon
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- Land declaration
- Declaration of 2 arouras of private seed land (idioktetos sporimos) for the census of 297 A.D.
- Subject Headings
- Kharabat Ihrit (Egypt)
- Census--Egypt--Theadelpheia (Extinct city)
- Census districts--Egypt--Theadelpheia (Extinct city)
- Land tenure--Egypt--Theadelpheia (Extinct city)
- Measures and weights, Ancient.
- Signatures (Writing)
- Literacy--Egypt--Theadelpheia (Extinct city)
- Julius Septimius Sabinus, head of the census,
- Aurelius , son of Nilammon,
- Diocletian and Maximian Augusti, Constantius and Maximian, emperors,
- Faustus and Gallus,
- Aurelius Athanasius.
- Village of Theadelphia,
- eigth toparchy,
- The Double Aroura, an allotment of land,
- "To Julius Septimius Sabinus, head of the census, from Aurelius . . ., son of Nilammon of the village of Theadelphia of the Arsinoite nome. According to the imperial decree of our lords the Imperators Diocletian and Maximian Augusti and Constantius and Maximian the most renowned Caesars, I declare to you that I possess two arouras of private land near the village of Theadelphia in the eighth toparchy. In the . . . division, in the allotment called the Double Aroura, two arourae of private seed, total 2 ar., adjacent to which are: on the east a ditch, after which the contiguous boundary of Polydeucia; on the west the estate of Rufus' heirs. And I swear the imperial oath that I have made the declaration truthfully. Year 15, 14 and 7 of our lords Diocletian and Maximian Augusti and Constantius and Maximian the most illustrious Caesars, in the consulship of Faustus and Gallus, Choiak . . .
- 2nd hd. I, Aurelius Pasi]s have handed it in and sworn the imperial oath that I have made the declaration truthfully and have falsified in no respect. I, Aurelius Athanasius, wrote for him, he being illiterate.
- 1st hd. Total 2 arourae of private seed land.
- Perseus Link
- view the greek text of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PCorn Westermann WL - Kraemer CJ 1926 19 Westermann WL - Kraemer CJ, PCorn, 19, 1926 -- L. 6: ekhs-ogdoes; l. 11: apo de dysmon kl]eronomon; l. 19: Geinontai k.t.l. L. 6: ekhs-ogdoes; l. 11: apo de dysmon kl]eronomon; l. 19: Geinontai k.t.l. TAPA 94 Youtie HC 1963 331-5 SB X 10726 Youtie HC, TAPA 94, 331-5, 1963 -- SB X 10726
Information on Publications--Further Republications
- Further Republications
- Rep Editor - Parassoglou GN; Rep Ser. - PSakaon; 1978; No. 76
- Year Begin
- Year End
- Add to Portfolio
- 4063 x 5935
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)