Background and Physical Properties
- Verso; Recto contains 11 lines of writing
- 10.7 x 14.5 cm
- Conservation Status
- Regularly cut off at the left with a number of large abrasions (TC).
- Palaeographic Description
- The verso contains two separate texts in 2 separate columns. The first text (column 1), written in a rather cursive hand, is a column of figures headed by the name Kaparis, followed by a paragraphus. The figures, with the exception of the first, are arranged in a descending series of the odd numbers from 1 to 19. There follow two signs which resemble somewhat ei() (dr.) but which are probably mere flourishes. The whole has the appearance of a writing exercise.
- The second document (col. 2), written in a different hand, claims to be an account of wool, but it is probably also an exercise or memorandum. The scribe has marked the beginning of the account by starting the first line closer to the middle than the following lines. In the last three lines the writer seems to be experimenting with the spelling of the first word. The sign for metretai in l. 1 clearly formede; it cannot be etous.
- text 2 (column 2) appears to be written by a less practiced scribe with large, separate letters.
- Ann Arbor
- IInd or IIIrd century A. D.
- In 1921 through the agency of the British Museum for Cornell University; handed over to the University of Michigan in 1972.
- Type of Text/Title of Work
- List/account of uncertain nature
- Subject Headings
- Writing--Problems, exercises, etc.--Egypt.
- Woolen goods|vRegisters--Egypt.
- Measures and weights, Ancient.
- (a): "A caper, 1, 19, 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5,3,1, ei ( ), drachmas?."
- (b): 5 metretes. Account of wool, 4 ?, [too fragmentary for a translation], . . . gowns . [,. . . . blankets[."
- Papyri.info Link
- view the transcription of this document in a separate window
Information on Publications
Series and Volume Editor Year Pg/Nr Photo SB Preferred Citation Corrections PCorn Westermann WL - Kraemer CJ 1926 30 Westermann WL - Kraemer CJ, PCorn, 30, 1926 -- BL X, 44 on l. 1 BL X, 44 on l. 1
- Year Begin
- Year End
26447 images/descriptions are openly available.
The University of Michigan Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes. These materials are in the public domain. If you have questions about the collection, please contact APIS Help. If you would like to request high-resolution images, please contact the Papyrology Collection. If you have concerns about the inclusion of an item in this collection, please contact Library Information Technology.
No Copyright. This work has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
- Add to Portfolio
- 3936 x 4649
- Advanced Papyrological Information System (APIS UM)