The Speech Camp near Northport in Leelanau County was acquired in early 1949, largely through a gift from the S. S. Kresge Foundation, and supplemented from University sources. It is described in some detail in Volume IV, pages 1601-03. The initial cost for 26.1 acres and the various buildings was $7,700 for land and $75,000 for buildings. Additions to the structures have resulted in a June 30, 1977 over-all book value for buildings of $144,000. There are 27 buildings presently in use.
Two private residences, one frame and the other brick, originally known as the Dexter Faculty Houses, were constructed by E. R. Young Company in 1956 on property next to Gordon Hall in the village of Dexter. These were financed primarily from a private gift from Mrs. Katherine Dexter McCormick and supplemented by University sources. These houses were designed by Colvin, Robinson Associates as rental units for faculty occupancy.
The Matthaei Botanical Gardens at 1800 Dixboro Road in Washtenaw County are comprised of 241.75 acres and 16 structures containing 1,481,690 cubic feet and 90,866 gross square Page 95feet. The book values as of June 30, 1977, are $485,656 for land and $1,792,068 for buildings. These facilities were made possible originally by a private gift of the land (and two barns) from Frederick C. Matthaei in 1958. Since that time, buildings have been constructed and land improvements have been made, all financed by additional private gifts, federal grants, and University sources. By the late 1950s it was determined that industrial and traffic development, University growth, and the changing needs of the plant sciences necessitated the search for a new and larger site for the University's Botanical Gardens. Phase I construction consisted of an administration building, two greenhouses, and some research space totaling 29,778 square feet. Alden B. Dow, Inc. furnished architectural services for this and all other phases of the gardens' development. A. Z. Shmina and Sons Company completed the construction of this $576,372 project which was funded from gift and University monies. Phase II of the development added a 12,360-square-foot laboratory project in 1961 which totaled $328,866, funded from a National Science Foundation Grant matched by University funds. An additional part of Phase II development added two more greenhouses totaling 12,360 square feet. Completed by the Perry Construction Company in 1962, the $71,084 greenhouse project was funded from gift and University funds. Also finished at this time was a Superintendent's residence of 2,928 square feet. Built by Ray F. Daum Company this $31,581 structure was financed from University sources. Phase III, completed in 1966 by the Henry deKoning Construction Company, saw the addition of a permanent plant-collection greenhouse, in addition to classroom and office spaces totaling 31,600 square feet. This $884,273 project was funded by a federal grant and by University funds. The Gardens are located in an unusually attractive setting and provide an excellent laboratory for instruction and research.
The Willow Run U. S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare Facilities are located contiguous to Willow Run Airport, primarily east of Beck Road. They consist of 156,229 acres and 39 structures at June 30, 1977, with a book value of $151,300 for land and $1,046,000 for buildings. These properties were acquired through a grant from the United States Department of Health, Education, and Welfare in 1961 and supplemented by improvements and other additions Page 96from University sources. These facilities are used for research purposes.
As of June 30, 1977, Radrick Farms, at Dixboro and Geddes Roads in Washtenaw County, comprised 654.78 acres and 20 structures with book values of $1,343,198 for land and $393,682 for buildings. The acquisition of these facilities was made possible by an original gift in 1962 from Frederick C. Matthaei and an additional gift in 1965 from the same donor. An additional contiguous 15.89 acres were purchased by the University in 1967-68. Land value was increased in 1967 by construction of an excellent golf course, also with funds provided by Matthaei. The course was designed by the nationally recognized golf course architect Peter Dye of Indianapolis, Indiana, and built by the Maddox Construction Company of St. Charles, Illinois. Construction on the 18-hole, par-72, 6,480-yard course was begun in the fall of 1964.
In January of 1964 the Regents accepted a gift from Calumet and Hecla, Inc. of 203.45 acres of land, valued at $21,392, at the far northern tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula in upper Michigan. This is known as the Keweenaw Peninsula Rocket Launching Site and is used for atmospheric and environmental research purposes.
The Portage Lake Observatory No. 2 at Peach Mountain, in the Waterloo Recreation Area in Washtenaw County, was built by Butcher and Willits, Inc. in April of 1969 at a cost of $589,210. It was designed by Colvin, Robinson, Wright and Associates and contains 93,927 cubic feet and 5,514 gross square feet. It was financed from federal funds and University sources.
Three significant building additions have been constructed at the Biological Station at Douglas Lake near Cheboygan. The Alfred H. Stockard Lakeside Laboratory, a 24,943-square-foot laboratory, classroom, and research facility, was named to honor the late Director of the Biological Station, who had served from 1940 to 1966. It was designed by The Architects Collective, Inc. and was completed in 1966 by the Omega Construction Company. Funding for this $636,000 structure was from a National Science Foundation grant and matching University funds. Also designed by The Architects Collective, Page 97Inc. and completed by Omega Construction Company in 1966 was a 6,299-square-foot residential unit. This $162,000 structure was also funded by National Science Foundation grant money and matching University funds. A new and efficient dining hall and kitchen facility, designed by David Trautman, was completed by Concrete Systems, Inc., in 1976. Replacing a small and outdated unit, this 12,371-square-foot $440,000 structure was funded from unrestricted gifts and University funds.