The University of Michigan, an encyclopedic survey ... Wilfred B. Shaw, editor.
University of Michigan.
Parking Structures

The Ann Arbor campus Parking Structures have been built from 1957 through 1976 from revenues obtained from charges for parking and from other University fund sources and have provided adequate parking for University staff in seven strategic locations on the campus. The University faculty and staff parking program was established in 1955 with the advice of the Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs, Sub-Committee on Campus Planning and Development. The plan for parking facility development was launched in 1956 and in 1958. The firm of O'Dell, Hewlett and Luckenbach prepared a general study of parking structure locations based on sub-campus areas and peripheral sites to provide Page  87convenient access to collector streets. The plan concept was later enlarged in both the Central Campus and Medical Center Planning Studies prepared by Johnson, Johnson and Roy, Inc. The following table provides descriptive information about the structures:

Year Built Original Cost 6/30/77 Cost Cubic Feet Gross Sq. Ft. No. of Cars
Church St. 1957 $ 631,256 $ 1,193,313* 1,830,860* 219,270* 594*
Catherine St. 1959 569,245 572,508 1,340,592 138,624 427
Thayer St. 1962 856,295 920,334 1,348,062 165,421 443
Thompson St. 1963 999,536 1,002,311 1,852,195 234,730 758
Fletcher St. 1968 2,903,921 3,086,727 3,025,287 383,124 949
East Medical 1968 3,032,591 3,852,127* 5,081,232* 461,188* 1,409*
Hill St. 1970 1,425,810 1,425,810 1,353,065 147,921 495
Total $10,418,654 $12,053,130 15,831,293 1,750,278 5,075