Funded by a $600,000 gift from the Kresge Foundation and University funds, a 38,848-square-foot addition to the Kresge Medical Research Building, designed by Giffels and Vallet and Skidmore and constructed by Jeffress-Dyer, Inc., opened in January 1956 as a new Medical Library. This four-stack level structure, with a reading room, a conference room, a rare-book room, five group-study rooms and 60 carrels, enabled the Medical Library collection to move from its former inadequate space in the Central Campus General Library. It also permitted combining the Medical, Nursing, and Hospital Libraries.
In July of 1952 the Regents first approved planning for the Medical Science Building I, eventually located at 1335 East Catherine Street. Site selection was made in May of 1953. In January of 1955 it was determined that the Medical School departments of Pathology, Biochemistry, and Pharmacology and the School of Nursing would be housed in the structure. The project was completed in September of 1958 at a cost of $8,494,373, financed from state appropriations, and included 262,810 gross square feet. The building design is innovative in medical instruction; the familiar bowl-shaped amphitheater where students surrounded the instructor has been replaced by a closed-circuit color television system which medical educators believe to be an immense teaching improvement.
The Mental Health Research Institute Building project at 205 Washtenaw Place was completed in December of 1959 at a cost of $1,326,700. This was financed by state appropriations and a federal grant. Planning began in February of 1956, and Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. was authorized for general construction in October of 1958. The structure includes 49,840 gross square feet.
Architects for planning the Kresge Hearing Research Institute Building at 1301 East Ann Street were appointed Page 81in July of 1960, and the firm of Holabird and Root received the contract. The construction contract was awarded to A. Z. Shmina and Sons Company in July of 1961, and the project was completed in September of 1962 at a cost of $1,742,136. The building was financed by a gift from the S. S. Kresge Foundation and included 37,537 gross square feet. This generous gift made possible a building devoted to research on hearing and causes of deafness. It was organized with the two-fold purpose of furnishing further knowledge of the hearing process in both health and disease and of training investigators in the knowledge gained and techniques developed.
The Animal Research Facility at 1335 East Catherine Street was financed by a federal grant matched by funds from University sources for a total cost of $500,000. It was designed by Kenneth C. Black Associates, Inc. and the construction contract was awarded to Barton-Malow Co. in March of 1962 and the building was completed in early 1963. It includes 15,473 gross square feet.
The Lawrence D. Buhl Research Center for Human Genetics at 1141 East Catherine Street was constructed by A. Z. Shmina and Sons for a cost of $560,000, financed by federal grants and a private gift from the Buhl Foundation. Since this research function closely related to departmental activities planned for the new Medical Science Building II, it was recommended and approved that the two structures be considered as a unified architectural project (both phases designed by Holabird and Root) to insure coordination of the two units. The building was completed in October of 1963 and includes 16,146 gross square feet.
The Victor C. Vaughan House at 1111 East Catherine underwent extensive renovations and remodeling in 1963, which added 41,113 square feet to the building. Designed by Colvin, Robinson, Wright and Associates and constructed by Perry Construction Company, these changes allowed conversion of the former dormitory to facilities for the Speech Clinic and spaces for some units of the School of Public Health. Formerly located in an old house, the Speech Clinic now had 100 rooms for educational and service activities, including dormitory facilities for about 20 adult aphasic patients, making the University of Michigan Speech Clinic the first Page 82university speech clinic in the nation to offer a residential treatment program for adult aphasics. The $848,735 project cost was met by University funds.
Planning architects Holabird and Root were approved for the Kresge Medical Research Building Addition at 1299 East Ann Street in July of 1961. Spence Brothers Construction Company of Saginaw was awarded the construction contract in April of 1963. The project was completed in September of 1964 at a cost of $1,570,749, financed by a federal grant, and included 40,106 gross square feet.
The 30,419 square foot Parkview Medical Center and an adjacent acre of land were purchased from a group of local physicians in 1967 to provide additional patient service and training facilities. The $1,100,000 purchase price was financed by a loan to be repaid from new revenues of the facility. In 1976 the Scott and Amy Prudden Turner Memorial Clinic was completed as an added wing of this structure.
The Towsley Center for Continuing Medical Education at 271 East Hospital Drive was completed in February of 1969 at a cost of $1,900,000, financed by gifts from the Towsley and Dow Foundations and University funds. Alden Dow and Associates of Midland were the architects and the Henry deKoning Construction Company of Ann Arbor was awarded the construction contract. The building contains 52,207 gross square feet. The facility has a 518 seat auditorium and a 144 seat lecture hall, as well as departmental offices, the Medical Center Alumni Society Office, and the editorial rooms of the Medical Center Journal, plus smaller classrooms and seminar rooms.
The Medical Science Building II at 1137 East Catherine Street was completed in July of 1969 at a cost of $12,700,000, financed by state appropriations, federal funds, private gifts, and University sources. Holabird and Root were assigned as planning architects for this project in June of 1961. Construction contracts were awarded to Spence Brothers of Saginaw and Hydon-Brand Company in November of 1965. The building contains 4,550,853 cubic feet and 333,038 gross square feet. This unit houses the departments of Anatomy, Genetics, Microbiology, and Physiology and also provides Page 83instructional facilities to meet the needs of increased enrollment, plus research areas for both faculty and students. This brought together for the first time all of the Medical School departments in one area. Both Medical Science I and Medical Science II are connected by bridge to the Main Hospital. Remodeling of the lower level for the Furstenberg Student Center was approved in May of 1971 and completed in May of 1974 at a cost of $1,100,000, financed by private gifts and a federal grant. Named for former Medical School Dean, Dr. A. C. Furstenberg, this thoroughly modern facility contains classrooms, audiovisual study areas, and a commons for both students and faculty. The heart of the Center is its audiovisual study area which includes 37 multimedia carrels, all equipped for sound/slide presentations and 10 equipped with videocassette players. There are also 18 microfiche stations and two computer-assisted instruction rooms, plus several class and multipurpose rooms for use by faculty and student groups, and an informal commons with tables, chairs, and vending machines.
In April of 1964 the Regents accepted a gift of $6,000,000 from the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation of Flint for the C. S. Mott Children's Hospital, constructed at 1430 North Hospital Drive. The project, designed by Albert Kahn Associates and constructed by Miller-Davis Company, was completed in September of 1969 at a cost of $9,458,000, financed by the Mott gift, other gifts, and federal funds. The structure includes 2,440,896 cubic feet and 184,461 gross square feet. The unit is a 200-bed, eight-story structure and contains its own pediatric x-ray facilities, operating rooms, anesthesia unit and technical services but, for the sake of economy, does obtain a number of supportive services from the main hospital. There is a special area for teenage patients and, when the hospital opened, its 26-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit was believed to be the only one of its kind in the Midwest. A major new feature is a window seat in each room which converts into a bed, allowing a parent to spend the night with the child to aid the child's adjustment to the strange medical environment.
The Upjohn Center for Clinical Pharmacology at 1310 East Catherine Street was completed in March of 1970 at a cost of $1,200,000 from gifts and University sources. Holabird and Root were the architects and Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. Page 84was the building contractor. This facility provides 17,880 gross square feet. The Center's main purpose is to study effectiveness in drugs and safety in man, to train physicians in the advanced skills needed for such study, and to provide a base for patient care related to the research and training. It is the focal point for the total University of Michigan Medical Center's concern with the value and safety of drugs.
Following completion of a new Food Service Facility in 1969, studies determined that the former Food Service Building located at 1103 E. Huron was particularly suitable as a neuroscience research facility because of its unique location between the Central Campus and the Medical Center. Extensive remodeling, designed by Harley Ellington Associates, Inc., was undertaken by the R. T. Mitchell Company to develop wet and dry laboratories, animal quarters, offices and related spaces for neuroscience activities which had previously been scattered in both Medical Center and Central Campus areas. Upon completion of this remodeling in 1971, the structure was renamed the Neuroscience Laboratories Building. University funds supported the $1,369,760 project.
The Holden Perinatal Research Laboratory at 250 East Hospital Drive was provided by a gift from the James and Lynelle Holden Fund. Approval was given in June of 1969 for site selection and for Kenneth Black Associates, Inc. as architects. In December of 1970 Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. of Ann Arbor was selected as general contractor. The facility was completed in May of 1972 at a cost of $1,500,000, and provides 19,350 gross square feet. It is the first high-risk-pregnancy patient care and research center in the state of Michigan, and is dedicated to saving the lives of critically ill infants and their mothers. It offers the newest medical facilities and equipment and the highest level treatment available. It is a highly specialized hospital within the huge University Hospital complex. Facilities for both pregnant women and critically ill newborn infants are concentrated on the third level of this compact three-story structure which is attached to both the Mott Children's Hospital and Women's Hospital.
Following completion of construction of the C. S. Mott Children's Hospital, planning was begun on two projects Page 85which would occupy an unfinished area of the first level. To be financed by gift, Medical Center/School and Hospital funds, the James L. Wilson Pediatric Laboratories and the Mott Cardiac Care Study Unit projects were combined to realize architectural and construction cost savings. Prior to construction, these Albert Kahn and Associates Architects and Engineers, Inc. projects were incorporated into the Outpatient Addition project to effect further savings on these $500,000 projects. Also designed by the Albert Kahn firm, the Outpatient Addition spans the corridor areas between the Outpatient Building and C. S. Mott Children's Hospital. Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. was the general contractor and completed the structure in 1973. The five-story addition connects the two units by ramp and stairway, facilitates movement of patients between the buildings, and provides much needed expansion room for 10 clinics. The fourth level expansion is particularly significant since it allows consolidation on one level of Emergency Services, the Adult General Medicine Walk-In Clinic and the Pediatric Walk-In Clinic. The 17,523-square-foot, $817,517 structure also enabled extensive remodeling to enlarge the capacity of the Emergency Suite, and was financed by a federal grant of Hill-Burton funds and University Hospital funds.
The former University Motel, now known as Riverview Building, and the former Alpha Epsilon Iota Sorority House, now known as the Hospital Education Center, were purchased in 1974 for Hospital activities at a combined total cost of $420,000. The purchase, renovation, furnishing, and equipping of the two buildings was funded by a loan with repayment from Hospital funds. The former motel facility provided 20,136 square feet of critically needed space for the Psychiatric Adult Ambulatory Care Program while the 8,383 square-foot former sorority house provided facilities for a new program of education and training laboratories for the Physical Therapy Program, and office space for other units of the Medical Center and Medical School.
The Scott and Amy Prudden Turner Memorial Clinic at 1010 Wall Street was provided in a bequest from the will of Amy Prudden Turner. The facility was designed by Warren Holmes Company and Kenneth Black Associate Architects, Inc. Work started in April of 1975 and was completed in August of 1976 at a cost of $1,300,000. The building was constructed Page 86by Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. and includes 24,653 gross square feet. This structure is a wing connected to the Parkview Medical Center devoted to the study of gerontology, to the degenerative diseases affecting elderly people, and to providing hospital space for the study, treatment, and healing of people suffering from such diseases.
The Hospital Finance and Personnel Building at 102 Simpson Street was approved in January of 1975 and construction was completed in December of 1976, financed from University sources at a cost of $1,600,000. The structure was built as an addition to the East Medical Parking Structure and provides 35,730 gross square feet for administrative activities, thus allowing re-allocation of Hospital spaces for more clinical and patient services.
The University Hospital - Main Building at 1405 East Ann Street has experienced a large number of renovation and remodeling projects over the years. In recent years, there has been a continuous round of activity of this nature, averaging over $1,000,000 of project volume each year. Improvements to the facility resulting from these projects have caused increases in capitalized value in the building, which on June 30, 1977, stands at the level of $23,045,790. The Hospital was built in 1925 at a cost of $7,048,395 and has seen extensive use in all its years. It contains 7,776,389 cubic feet and 607,389 gross square feet. A new hospital is presently being planned.