The Regents approved plans for the Library Central Service and Stack Building at 2360 Bonisteel Boulevard in September of 1953. To cope with the problems of expanding facilities of the library system, this four-level structure was designed as an economical storage annex by Albert Kahn Associates to house 400,000 older periodicals and books with a limited circulation. The building includes a bindery and a reading room which is available for student use, or materials can be sent to central campus libraries for use there. A construction contract was awarded to Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. in March of 1954. The building was completed in 1955 at a cost of $480,000, which was financed from state appropriations and University funds. This facility added 213,925 cubic feet and 20,077 gross square feet for library functions.
The Aeronautical Engineering Laboratory at 2515 Patterson Street was authorized in August of 1954, and the Page 70construction contract was awarded to Sorenson Gross Construction Company in February of 1955. The Department of Aeronautical Engineering was severely handicapped by its scattered Willow Run facilities in attempting to keep up with the growing research and teaching needs of a rapidly developing field. Regental approval was granted in 1954 for three departmental projects to be sited in the new engineering complex on the North Campus. It was of great importance for both teaching and research purposes that these structures, a low-turbulence wind tunnel, a high-speed wind tunnel, and an aircraft propulsion laboratory, be grouped together and that they be sited near other engineering facilities. Colvin, Robinson and Associates designed the facilities. The project was completed in December of 1955 at a cost of just under $700,000. A total of 524,092 cubic feet and 23,317 gross square feet were included. In 1961 another structure, the Plasma Research Building, was added at a cost of $100,000, including 6,521 gross square feet. Funds for these projects were provided from University sources.
The Printing Service Building at 1101 Beal Avenue was authorized in February of 1955 and completed in 1957 for a cost of $450,000 provided from University sources. This structure contains 354,040 cubic feet and 29,504 gross square feet. Douglas Loree designed the structure and Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. completed the construction. It provided space for printing and binding operations, and related storage.
Smith, Hinchman and Grylls designed the 17,958-square-foot Ford Nuclear Reactor which was completed in 1956 by Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. as a wing addition to the Phoenix Memorial Laboratories. This additional facility provided further support for research in the field of atomic energy as well as support for the University's teaching program in nuclear engineering. The $952,000 building cost was financed by the generous gift of the Ford Motor Company Fund.
A project, originally constructed as a Civil Defense and Disaster Training Center and changed in 1977 to the Fire Service Instruction and Research Center at 1946 Beal Avenue, was completed in 1959 at a cost of $473,000, financed by a federal grant and state appropriations. The facility was designed by James H. Livingston Associates to provide Page 71better preservice and inservice training opportunities for Michigan firemen, both paid and volunteer. Expansion of the firemanship training program was jointly conducted by the University Extension Service and the State of Michigan Office of Vocational Education, Department of Public Instruction. Development of this program also increased overall fire protection to the University of Michigan. Perron Construction Company completed the facility in 1959. Prior to construction, the Ann Arbor City Council agreed that when the facility was needed as an operating fire station for the area, it would be manned by the Ann Arbor Fire Department. An engine company of the Ann Arbor Fire Department moved into the facility in 1967.
The Cyclotron Building at 2590 Patterson Street was originally planned in April of 1956, contracts for construction were awarded in July of 1960, and the project was completed in October of 1961 at a cost of $1,219,725, financed from state appropriations and University funds. Giffels and Rossetti, Inc. designed this facility specifically to accommodate the cyclotron and synchrotron adequately and safely and to provide office and support areas for the operating staff. Previous quarters in the Randall Laboratory Building not only limited use of the machines but also constituted an exceptionally high radiation hazard in the area. The North Campus site was selected because it offered not only increased safety but proximity to other associated research units. The Henry deKoning Construction Company was the contractor. With the deactivation of the cyclotron, the building became available for other usage. The site was ideal for the 1977 relocation of the Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering from their former West Engineering Building spaces. The function of this facility was changed and it was renamed the Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Building in April of 1977.
The Research Activities Building at 2450 Hayward Avenue was completed in the spring of 1963 at a cost of $390,000, financed from University sources. Since the prime use of space in this structure was to be by units undertaking research in the fields of aeronautics and astronautics, the building was sited adjacent to the wind tunnels. Designed by Eberle M. Smith Associates, Inc., the 17,186-square-foot building was constructed by the Perry Construction Company. Page 72A 1964 remodeling project added 369 square feet to the structure.
The Research Administration Building at 1205 Beal Avenue was completed in the spring of 1963 at a cost of $746,000, financed from University sources. The expanded activities of the Office of Sponsored Research Administration led to the development of a program of space needs covering sponsored-research project work and administrative operations by staff members. Since there would be suitable linkage of service areas with the Cooley Building and since the planned building would conform to the Saarinen plan for the North Campus area, it was decided to site the structure immediately north of the Cooley Building. Designed by Swanson Associates, the 32,488-square-foot building was constructed by the A. Z. Shmina and Sons Company.
A North Campus site was selected for the Institute of Science and Technology Building at 2200 Bonisteel Avenue in May of 1960. Smith, Hinchman and Grylls were appointed architects in July. Spence Brothers were awarded the general construction contract in January of 1962, and the project was completed in October of 1963 at a cost of $3,116,000, financed from state appropriations and a federal grant. The facility includes 1,191,083 cubic feet and 83,350 gross square feet. In March of 1966 the Regents were informed that the architects received a First Honor Award for this building from the Michigan Society of Architects.
Planning for the School of Music facility on North Campus began in September of 1952. Eero Saarinen and Associates were engaged as planning architects. Construction contracts were awarded in May of 1957, contingent upon availability of state financing. Work finally began in September of 1962 and the building was completed by Darin and Armstrong in May of 1964 at 1100 Baits Avenue at a cost of $4,182,000, financed from state appropriations and University sources. The School of Music moved from 13 scattered campus locations into this new 110,000-square-foot building. The structure was designed to accommodate 1,000 music majors in 150 individual practice rooms, 40 applied-music teaching studios, 20 classrooms, rehearsal and recital halls, electronic listening and recording rooms, as well as 40 faculty offices, a library, and workshops. In March 1975 the Regents named Page 73the building the Earl V. Moore Building honoring the School's former director and dean who served from 1923 until his 1960 retirement.
Planned originally in 1955 and 1956 as the Fluids Engineering Laboratory units I and II, this project, located at 2350 Hayward Avenue, was renamed in September of 1957 the George Granger Brown Memorial Laboratories to honor the former Dean of the College. The construction contract for the first unit was awarded to Spence Brothers Construction Company in October of 1956, and it was completed in August of 1958 at a cost of $2,000,000 provided by state appropriations. Construction contracts for the second unit were awarded also to Spence Brothers Construction Company in September of 1963, and it was completed in November of 1964 for a cost of about $2,400,000 provided in major part by state appropriations. This large complex contains 2,967,702 cubic feet and 156,797 gross square feet.
The Space Research Laboratory at 2455 Hayward Avenue was financed by a grant from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Application for this grant was made in September of 1962. Construction contracts were awarded in March of 1964 to Spence Brothers Construction Company and the building was completed in June of 1965 at a cost of $1,400,000. It contains 56,163 gross square feet. Completion of this two-story building has enabled the University to house its growing space-research activities under one roof on the North Campus near the Aeronautical Engineering, George Granger Brown Memorial Laboratories, and other related facilities. It has also enabled the undertaking of a broad program of space-related research activities in a multidisciplinary research center designed by Architects Collective, Inc. Among those participating in the dedication of the building were U. S. Astronauts Edward White and James McDivitt.
The North Campus Commons at 2101 Bonisteel Boulevard was financed by student-fee allocations and other University revenues. Construction contracts were awarded to A. Z. Shmina and Sons Company in February of 1964 and it was completed in June of 1965 at a cost of $1,565,000. This building contains 44,046 gross square feet. The facility was designed by Swanson Associates to include cafeteria Page 74service area, private dining areas, a machine food-vending service area, and to serve as a student center on the North Campus.
The North Campus Service Building at 1655 Dean Street was designed by Jickling and Lyman Architects, Inc. and constructed in 1965 by the Perry Construction Company from University funds at a cost of $469,000. This facility, which contains 393,831 cubic feet and 14,514 gross square feet, was constructed as an incinerator for waste materials and to house boiler services for this area of the campus.
Vera Baits Housing I at 1210-1320 Hubbard Avenue and Vera Baits Housing II at 1421-1440 Hubbard Avenue were planned to meet special needs of certain students on North Campus. These were primarily graduate students who wished housing accommodations only. The project was first known as Cedar Bend Houses I and II and plans were first approved in January of 1964. The project was renamed Vera Baits Housing in July of 1966 to honor the late University Regent. Construction contracts were awarded to A. Z. Shmina and Sons Company for Unit I (5 buildings) in December of 1964 and for Unit II (5 buildings) in July of 1965. Unit I was completed in August of 1966 at a cost of $3,400,000, and Unit II was completed in June of 1967 at a cost of $3,600,000. Financing of these structures was from University housing revenues. They provide 295,882 gross square feet of space, and were designed to house 1,206 students.
Bursley Hall at 1931 Duffield Street was completed in April of 1968 at a cost of $7,500,000, financed from University housing revenues. This facility was first planned in November of 1956. Construction contracts were awarded in February of 1965. It provides 339,608 gross square feet for housing and dining services. Designed by Swanson Associates to accommodate 1,180 single students, the dormitory was constructed by the Miller Davis Company. In February of 1958 the project was named for Joseph Aldrich Bursley and Marguerite Knowlton Bursley to honor the late University Dean of Men and his wife.
Construction of the Chrysler Center for Continuing Engineering Education at 2121 Bonisteel Boulevard was made possible by a gift of $1,250,000 from the Chrysler Fund as Page 75part of the $55M Campaign. Personal gifts from several Chrysler Corporation executives aided significantly in furnishing the facility. The total project cost was $1,513,742. Designed by Swanson Associates, the Center is used primarily for continuing-engineering-education conferences, short courses, seminars, and degree-oriented graduate courses for practicing engineers. When unscheduled for engineering uses, the facility is also available to other University units. The building includes seven classrooms, three laboratory-demonstration rooms, two conference rooms and an auditorium. The classrooms are equipped with audio-visual facilities including closed-circuit television. Construction contracts were awarded in July of 1966 to Spence Brothers of Saginaw, and the building was completed in November of 1967. The facility contains 42,262 gross square feet of space.
The North Campus Storage Building at 3241 Baxter Avenue was designed and constructed in three phases by the University's Engineering Services in 1967, 1968, and 1975. This 44,892-square-foot structure, funded from University sources for just over $350,000, was built to provide bicycle storage for the Office of Student Community Relations, Plant Department storage on the North Campus, and office and storage space for Property Disposition, the University unit charged with aiding departments in the disposition and reuse of surplus property items.
The Highway Safety Research Institute at 2901 Baxter Avenue was planned for research and testing of vehicle and road relationships. It was funded by gifts from the General Motors Corporation, the Ford Motor Company, the Automobile Manufacturer's Association, and the Fruehauf Corporation. The general construction contract was awarded to A. Z. Shmina and Sons Company of Dearborn, and the project was completed in June of 1969 at a cost of $4,073,000. It includes 1,124,859 cubic feet and 77,082 gross square feet. The building was designed by Harley, Ellington, Cowin and Stirton, Inc. to serve a continuing education program in a new and emerging curriculum and to train graduate students in the area of highway safety.
The Laundry Building at 1665 Dean Road was constructed at a cost of $1,300,000 from University funds. Work began Page 76in March of 1969 and was completed in November. The building includes 1,016,446 cubic feet and 47,250 gross square feet. This structure was completed by Cunningham-Limp Company and replaced a Central Campus building in continuous operation since 1916 which was obsolete and worn out. While not only insuring more effective and efficient operation, siting this facility in the North Campus service area freed valuable Central Campus space for part of the site of the new Dental School complex.
The Computing Center at 1075 Beal Avenue was completed by the E. E. Kurtz Construction Company of Ann Arbor at a cost of $1,300,000. Construction began in October of 1969 and was completed in April of 1971. The project was funded by University sources and private gifts. It houses a large computer facility for academic teaching and research functions. Tarapata, MacMahon, Associates designed this three-story building to provide both reliable environmental controls and flexibility in use of space. Elevated "false" floors, raised approximately two feet from the actual floor, form a reservoir for distributing air through the total building thus eliminating conventional ductwork in a facility that would equal the capacity needed to air-condition 40 to 50 homes. This feature also permits readily accessible storage areas for computer cables and electrical and telephone lines serving the building. It is "ready-made" for expansion of the rapidly growing computer field. The University Computing Center, first established in 1959, has had a fantastic growth which is expected to continue. Long-span construction was used throughout the entire building. Since the walls and unusual beams are weight-bearing, the interior space is entirely free of support columns and was completed with easily movable interior partitions to facilitate space relocation. Computer components are located on all three floors to eliminate transmission lag. Elevator, mechanical, and electrical service areas are masonry cores placed at the sides of the building. The first floor is primarily a public service area, seminar rooms, and key punching and terminal rooms. On the second floor is the main computer room and adjacent open-office work areas, while the third floor houses computer-systems research areas, a library, and administrative offices.
The Northwood Apartments on the North Campus were constructed over a number of years, from September of 1955 to Page 77October of 1972. Planning for North Campus married-student housing was first approved by the Regents in February of 1954. In May of 1955 the name Northwood Apartments was authorized. A minor part of the apartments was reserved for staff members in need of short-term housing. Units I, II and III (of efficiency, 1- and 2-bedroom size) are apartment-complex type structures, while Units IV (of 1-, 2-, and 3-bedroom size) and V (of 2-and 3-bedroom size) are of townhouse design. All units are financed by Housing Revenue Bonds retired by rental income from the units. Northwood V also received a federal interest-subsidy grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Descriptive data about the five projects are included in the table below:
|Completion Date||Sept. 1955||Dec. 1957||Dec. 1958||Feb. 1969||Oct. 1972|
|No. of units||100||296||288||400||400|
|No. of bldgs.||7||40||11||83||79|
|Gross sq. ft.||66,104||184,759||169,900||528,110||559,838|
The Aerospace Engineering Building at 2508 Patterson Street is a 18, 188-square-foot, three-story building connecting the wind tunnel and the propulsion laboratory and serves to centralize the Aerospace Engineering Department on the North Campus into a more effective teaching and research department. Its completion in 1972 also served to release academic spaces on the Central Campus. This University-financed $456,000 project was a design/build structure completed by the Cunningham-Limp Company.
The Bentley Historical Library at 1150 Beal Avenue was built to house the Michigan Historical Collections. In December of 1971 the Regents named the facility in honor of former Regent and Congressman Alvin M. Bentley and Arvella D. Bentley, the major donors to the Library. R. T. Mitchell Construction Company of Ann Arbor was awarded the contract to build in July of 1972, and the building was completed in September of 1973 at a cost of $1,200,000, financed by gifts Page 78from the Bentley family and others. The 32,315-square-foot building designed by Jickling and Lyman Architects, Inc. coordinates a three-level stack area with offices arranged in a ring around the main reading room which is glass-walled and overlooks a landscaped garden and sculpture court. Many of the Library rooms stand as tributes to Michigan people and institutions. A multi-purpose assembly hall just off the main entrance serves for special meetings of groups up to 125. Among the Library's important collections are the papers of 19 Michigan governors and other major public figures, plus papers of University Presidents dating from the first President, the Rev. John Monteith, and documents related to communities in Michigan.
The need for the Architecture and Art Building at 2000 Bonisteel Boulevard was first presented in December of 1954. While the building was designed originally for the College of Architecture and Design, it is now shared by the two separate colleges of Architecture and Art. It is a large structure containing 2,590,539 cubic feet and 221,220 gross square feet. Construction started in September 1972 and the project was completed in August of 1974 at a cost of $8,500,000, financed by state appropriations. Replacing a 1927 structure which was designed for an enrollment of less than 400, this North Campus facility allows for a student body capacity of 1,200. Structurally composed of three rectangular units, two stories high, connected by two corridors, this basic inexpensive loft-type building, designed by Swanson Associates, Inc., has an interior which can be modified to service the changing needs of various programs. Flexibility is achieved by movable furniture and partitions, enabling faculty and students to subdivide areas to meet changing requirements. Spaciousness is achieved through use of inexpensive materials, simple detailing, and open planning. Studios and workshops comprise 80 percent of the interior space. A major building innovation is the built-in interior sprinkling system for fire protection. Constructed by Spence Brothers Construction Company, the new facilities increase options available to larger numbers of students, such as: visual studios laboratory, new computer facilities, weaving looms, ceramic kilns and wheels, metal casting furnaces, jewelry forges, sand blasting equipment, 30 photographic dark rooms, and 18 painting and design studios.
Page 79The Automotive Laboratory at 2320 Herbert Avenue, described in Volume IV, pages 1589-90 and completed in 1956, was renamed the Walter E. Lay Automotive Laboratory to honor the late Professor of Engineering at the Regents meeting of September 1974.
The Engineering Building I-A project at 2351 Herbert Avenue was funded by state appropriations at a cost of $2,250,000. The Saline Construction Company was awarded the construction contract in July of 1973 and work began in September. The building was completed in January of 1975, and contains 421,440 cubic feet and 37,667 gross square feet. Swanson Associates designed this facility to bring together the programs in water resources conducted by the Departments of Civil and Chemical Engineering and the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science. Sited near the G. G. Brown Laboratories in the Engineering College's North Campus complex, the structure contains instructional and research laboratory facilities for both graduate and undergraduate programs, classrooms, faculty offices, and supporting areas. The building also provides facilities for sanitation engineering, pollution control, and water analysis.
In April of 1973 the Regents approved a student-fee allocation to finance the North Campus Recreation Building at 2375 Hubbard Street, as well as a central campus facility. The two buildings were authorized for construction in June of 1974 at a combined project cost of $7,700,000. The North Campus facility was completed by the Saline Construction Company in July of 1976 at a cost of $2,800,000 and included 970,806 cubic feet and 61,470 gross square feet. Included in this modern facility, available to both men and women in the North Campus area, are five handball and two squash courts, a large gymnasium, a 7,000-square-foot natatorium, weight-training and exercise rooms, administrative offices, and locker and shower facilities, complete with saunas. Facilities for the handicapped have also been incorporated into this structure designed by Colvin, Robinson Associates.
The Zeta Beta Tau fraternity house at 2005 Baits Avenue was renamed the Frederick Stearns Building when it was acquired for the School of Music in June of 1972 at a cost of $215,000. It houses the Stearns Collection of Page 80musical instruments, a world famous collection which had been displayed in Hill Auditorium since 1914. The remodeled 18,021 square-foot building also provides 29 faculty offices and rehearsal facilities for medium-sized musical groups.