An addition to the Law Library for stack areas and offices was completed in 1955 and is described in Volume IV, page 1673. This was funded by state appropriations and private gifts for a cost of $687,000. Planning was completed Page 53by York and Sawyer Company, and Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. was the contractor.
An addition to Couzens Hall at 1300 East Ann Street, mentioned in Volume IV, page 1797, was completed in 1956 at a cost of $2,100,000. This addition increased capacity by 272 students and was financed by bonds paid from operating revenues. R. A. Calder Company was the planner and Spence Brothers were the contractors.
In September of 1954 the Regents approved a contract for an addition to the Michigan Union at 530 South State Street and a comprehensive renovation of the kitchen area. The project was completed in 1956 at a cost of $3,000,000, which was financed partly from funds on hand and the balance from a bond issue secured by future student fee allocations.
A new building for the University Press was constructed at 412 Maynard Street in 1956 from University sources at a cost of $130,000. It included 7,583 gross square feet. Douglas Loree designed the two story structure, and it was completed by the Henry deKoning Construction Company to provide a central campus location for the various publishing offices of the University Press previously scattered about the campus. The cost was met from alumni contributions and University funds. By 1951 the Press had outgrown the building and was moved into rented quarters at 615 East University Avenue. Renamed Extension Service Building, it became the headquarters of the University Extension Service formerly housed in the Administration Building.
The Undergraduate Library at 919 South University Avenue was completed in 1957 at a project cost of $3,076,500, financed from state appropriations. Planning began in 1953 for this unit and Albert Kahn, Associated Architects were appointed as architects. The construction contract was awarded to Spence Brothers of Saginaw, and the structure includes 136,820 gross square feet. It was designed to house reference books, frequently used current periodicals, and all reserved books, formerly housed in scattered campus libraries, which were especially used by undergraduates as well as a large collection of basic source books for undergraduate courses. To provide reader spaces for approximately 2,500 students, large study halls were designed for each of Page 54the four levels of the building. Special features include typing rooms, record-listening rooms, a large multipurpose room and special provisions for blind students. Books are arranged in open-shelf collections and the total floor space is designed to be rearrangeable for any library purpose. The library is unique in that it is only the second of its kind to be built in the United States, and at the time of construction the library was the largest of its kind in the world.
The Regents first discussed the acquisition and prospective uses of the Ann Arbor High School building and land at 105 South State Street in May of 1954. In November purchase was authorized at a cost of $1,400,000, including 2.112 acres valued at $244,000. The structure was built in 1905. In February of 1956 the building was renamed the Henry S. Frieze Building, after a University Latin professor who twice served as acting President, and in July a contract was awarded to the Spence Brothers Company for a significant addition and modernization project amounting to $2,436,000, financed primarily from state appropriations. After lengthy City-University discussions, Thayer Street between East Huron and East Washington Streets was closed permitting an extensive addition to the original building. This Colvin & Robinson designed addition, plus extensive remodeling in the existing facility, included removal of the heating plant and connection of the entire facility to the University's central heating system. The project was completed in December of 1957. The new space was used for certain departments of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and the School of Social Work. This facility now provides a total of 197,920 gross square feet of space for these activities.
Mary Butler Markley Residence Hall at 1425 Washington Heights was first planned as a residence for 1,200 single women but is now occupied by both men and women. The construction contract was awarded to George W. Lathrop and Sons, Inc. in March of 1957. The project totaled $6,060,631 and was financed by a loan from the Housing and Home Finance Agency and a term loan secured by future revenues from student housing. The building was completed in February 1959 and includes 283,888 gross square feet. Harley, Ellington & Day, Inc., designed the "H" shaped dormitory, sited on Washington Heights, which contains nine houses in Page 55four wings accommodating 1,200 students. An innovation at the time of completion was a telephone in every room. The dormitory was named to honor Mary Butler Markley, a faculty widow, who had been extremely active in alumnae affairs for many years.
An addition to the Henry Frieze Vaughan Public Health Building at 109 South Observatory Street was completed in 1959 at a cost of $1,700,000. The addition was designed by the architect of the original structure, Lewis J. Sarvis, and constructed by Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. The project was financed by a Kellogg Foundation gift, a federal grant, and University funds. Regental action in October 1971 named the structure the Henry Frieze Vaughan Public Health Building in honor of the first dean of the School of Public Health, who served from its organization in 1943 to 1960.
Planning for a Pharmacy Research Building, at 428 Church Street, began in January of 1959 when the firm of Bennett and Straight was approved to draw up architectural plans. A. Z. Shmina and Sons were awarded the construction contract in July of 1959, and the building was completed in December of 1960 at a cost of $1,100,000. This was financed by a federal grant, gifts, and University funds. It provided 36,600 gross square feet for teaching and research activities. The facility is devoted almost entirely to laboratories, most of which accommodate two to four researchers, for both faculty and graduate students. The few offices in the project have laboratories attached. At the time of the building's dedication, it was the nation's largest college building for pharmaceutical research. While many research areas remain, renovations in subsequent years, plus use of spaces in the adjoining C. C. Little Building by pharmacy units, have led to a usage change for the structure reflected in the change of name in 1971 to the College of Pharmacy Building.
During 1959-60 over $600,000 worth of renovations were made to the Michigan League which resulted in an all new cafeteria and serving area with new equipment and furnishings. A 10,000-square-foot area beneath and adjacent to the Mendelssohn Theater was excavated and made into a combined theater workshop and multipurpose area. Opening into an area beneath Page 56the theater's stage, the workshop permits sets and other stage equipment constructed there to be put in place directly on the stage. The renovation project also included minor remodeling of the snack bar, installation of new dishwashing equipment, modernization of the ballroom, serving kitchen, and heating and lighting improvements on the first floor.
In May of 1960 a remodeling project for the West Medical Building was approved with a budget of $850,000 and the contract was awarded to the Kurtz Building Company of Ann Arbor. Colvin, Robinson, Wright and Associates provided architectural services. The building became available for alternative use because of the initial move of the Medical School to its first new building on the Medical Campus. The $925,700 project was funded primarily by state appropriation and was completed in June of 1961, at which time it was renamed the Natural Resources Building. In April of 1973 it was again renamed the Samuel Trask Dana Building, honoring the former Dean Emeritus of the School of Natural Resources.
Planning began in 1954 for the Student Activities Building at 515 East Jefferson Street. In January of 1955 the project was approved. Swanson and Associates were architects, and in November a construction contract was awarded to George W. Lathrop and Sons of Detroit. The project budget was set at $1,750,000 to be financed from borrowings secured by future student fee allocations and University sources. The building was completed in 1957. This is one of few American college structures designed primarily to house student organizations, activities, and services. It houses student organizations on three floors, plus a one-story workshop area at the rear. A Class of 1957 Memorial gift provided for a Memorial Court dedicated to Hank Borda, an active Student Government Council Member of the Class who died of leukemia prior to graduation. Original first floor occupants were the major student activities of the Student Government Council, Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils, Interhouse Council and Assembly Association, Building Administration Committee, and the offices of the Dean of Women. The second floor provided spaces for the Glee Club, Wolverine Club, International Student Association, Alpha Phi Omega, and similar student activities, plus offices of the Dean of Page 57Men. On the third floor, in addition to large meeting rooms, were Joint Judiciary Headquarters and projection rooms. Basement spaces housed the Student Book Exchange, Art Print Loan Collection, student files, and a mimeograph room. The building had been assigned a site on Jefferson Street which allowed for expansion, and three years after its completion that expansion was begun. Swanson and Associates were appointed as architects in 1959 to plan an addition. A. Z. Shmina and Sons were awarded the construction contract in July of 1960 and it was completed in June of 1961, also financed from student fee allocations. The addition provided spaces for the Office of Admissions, the Student Employment Office, the Office of Veteran Affairs, the Cashier's Office, the Bureau of Appointments and Occupational Information, and an office for the Coordinator of Student Religious Affairs. The present building carries a book value of $2,500,000 and provides 93,193 gross square feet of space for student organizations and administrative offices. A 1968 Union Study by Consultant Douglas Osterheld of the University of Wisconsin recommended a transfer of all student services from offices in the Student Activities Building to the Michigan Union. In 1970 and 1972 the Regents approved a two-phase program moving toward a centralized student center in the Michigan Union and establishing the Student Activities Building as primarily an office building.
The David M. Dennison Building at 500 Church Street was named in May of 1976 in honor of the late physics professor who was a researcher of international stature and a widely respected member of the faculty. It was first known as the Physics and Astronomy Building for which plans began in May of 1960. In July of 1961 construction began and the building was completed by A. Z. Shmina and Sons Company in April of 1963 at a cost of $3,200,000, financed from state appropriations. It was designed by Albert Kahn Associated Architects and Engineers, Inc., who won two awards for excellence in design, one from the Michigan Society of Architects in 1965 and the other from the American Institute of Architects in 1963. The building encompasses 129,669 gross square feet. Offices and laboratories constructed in 1910 and an 1854-vintage library previously served the Astronomy Department with extremely overcrowded and obsolete spaces. Although not entirely housed in such antiquated space, the Physics Department also was in extremely crowded facilities Page 58due to the tremendous growth of the department. For example, a 32 percent growth took place in the period 1956-1960. Research developments in both fields made it most desirable to effect a physical union of the two departments, and a merging of both the Physics and Astronomy libraries and shops was beneficial to both departments.
Planning for Oxford Houses in the 600 block of Oxford Street began in December of 1960 when Stickel, Moody and Associates were appointed architects for the project. The project was approved at the level of $2,500,000 to be financed from future housing revenues. The construction contract was awarded in May of 1962 to Erickson and Lindstrom Construction Company and the project was completed in August of 1963. The facility consisted of eight structures, including 117,778 gross square feet. It provided space for 420 women students and eight house directors in a cooperative system of living for single students. In October of 1964 the Regents accepted the Community Facilities Administration Honor Award for its Oxford Houses. In 1967 a two-story addition, also designed by Stickels and Associates, was completed by Richard Wagner - Builder. Enabled by a $100,000 grant from the Max Kade Foundation, this new 2,230-square-foot facility provided living quarters for 30 coeds, where only German was to be spoken, and was named the Max Kade German House.
A 33,125 square-foot addition to the Alexander G. Ruthven Museums Building was approved in March of 1963 when a construction contract was awarded to Darin and Armstrong Co. and a project budget was set at $1,200,000. Financing was from a large National Science Foundation grant of $1,000,000 and University sources. The project was completed in March of 1964. It was designed by the Architects Collective, Inc. and provided accommodations for a program of research in animal biosystematics for the Museum of Zoology to serve both visiting and resident scholars. In December 1968 the Regents approved naming the building to honor the zoologist who had served on the faculty as Director of University Museums for seven years and as University President for 22 years.
In March of 1965 the Regents authorized acquisition of the Perry Building and land at 330 Packard Street from the Ann Arbor School District. The $350,000 purchase price was Page 59financed from University sources. This added 48,738 gross square feet to the instructional space of the central campus.
A proposed Administration Building at 503 Thompson Street was authorized for detailed plans and specifications for bids in June of 1965. The original design was prepared by Alden Dow and Associates. Construction contracts were awarded to the Spence Brothers of Saginaw in May of 1966 for a project budget of $2,900,000. The project is financed by a continuation of the loan agreements for the Student Activities Building. The building was completed in August of 1968 and provided 78,944 gross square feet for central administrative functions.
Butcher and Willits, Inc. completed construction of the Nu Sigma Nu house at 1912 Geddes Road at a cost of $361,500 in 1970. Designed by Robert Metcalf, the 14,410 square foot project was financed by gifts, a property exchange, and income of the property. In January 1966 the Regents authorized an agreement with the Nu Sigma Nu Fraternity "to assist duly recognized fraternities and sororities in improving and providing appropriate housing for such organizations as qualify for such assistance under rules and regulations of the offices of the Vice-President for Student Affairs and the Vice-President in charge of Business and Finance." The terms of the agreement with Nu Sigma Nu included the transfer by the fraternity to the University of land which it owned at 1015 E. Huron Street. The University established a fund designated as the Nu Sigma Nu Building Fund and deposited all contributions for this purpose. When sufficient assets were received, the University was to construct and lease to the fraternity a house on Fuller Street on land owned by the University. The site was subsequently shifted to one on Geddes Road. Rental paid by the fraternity was to be sufficient to pay all costs of maintenance of the house and also to provide for repayment over a 15-year period of the amount advanced by the University for construction over and above amounts received as gifts. The University will retain ownership of the house and will rent it to the fraternity for short-term periods.
The Parking and Publications Building at 409-411 E. Jefferson Street, a former grocery store and small restaurant, Page 60was purchased in 1969 for $85,000. Financed from University funds, the facility was remodeled into office spaces for Parking Operations and for University Publications.
The University had rented office space in the Benz Building for two public health research projects prior to January 1969 when the owner contacted the University regarding purchase of the red brick building located at 122 S. First Street. The 46,791-square foot structure had office and storage areas on four floors of an L-shaped building and also a 9,000-square foot parking area. In May 1969 Regental approval was given for purchase of the building from Mr. Carroll Benz to aid in meeting substantial research space requirements of the University and to enable consolidation of some units in other rental spaces. It presently houses the Institute for the Study of Mental Retardation and Related Disabilities. Financing of the $284,000 purchase was from University sources. The purchase price and remodeling cost resulted in a book value of $464,000. Renovations and a firestair addition added 1,290 square feet to the structure.
Extensive remodeling of the East Quadrangle student residence hall at 701 East University Avenue was authorized in April of 1969 for a Residential College division of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. The concept of a Residential College developed through a series of faculty committee studies begun in 1963. Associate Dean Burton Thuma was appointed the first director of the Residential College and worked to develop a comprehensive plan and program for both education and facilities. Upon his 1967 retirement, just prior to admission of the first freshman class in the fall of 1967, Dean James H. Robertson succeeded him. The original site for the facility was on University land on the north side of the Huron River along Fuller Road. Placing the College in two remodeled houses of the East Quadrangle was only to be an interim arrangement for two years while the new facility was under construction. Financial restrictions, however, led to the 1967 decision to expand the temporary facilities in the East Quadrangle into a permanent home for the Residential College. Remodeling and renovation was undertaken in three phases. The first phase included renovating mechanical systems, improving handicapped access, and remodeling the former men's Page 61dormitory rooms into classrooms, administrative spaces, library areas, and living units for men and women in the south wing of the Quadrangle. The second phase consisted of similar work in the north wing, while the third phase included a 30,000-square-foot addition, including a 250-seat lecture hall, plus lobbies connecting the north and south wings along the East University and Church Street sides. Swanson Associates provided architectural services for the project. The Henry deKoning Construction Company of Ann Arbor finished its work in August of 1970 at an added capitalized cost of $2,000,000, and this was financed by borrowings secured by residence halls revenues and some University funds.
Growing pedestrian and bicycle traffic in the North University and Forest Avenue area raised serious safety problems at the intersection and along Forest Avenue. The State Highway Department declined signaling at the intersection because of the complexity of signals required and the fact that signaling would significantly slow traffic on Forest. A University study of the problem showed that the physical characteristics of the area would permit a stepless overpass with only a slight grade to be built over Forest Avenue, running from near the North University Building to the vicinity of the Stockwell Hall steps. Such an overpass would eliminate this major traffic hazard, and the Regents approved proceeding with the project. Prior to construction the City of Ann Arbor agreed to close North University Avenue from Forest to Washtenaw which also aided in safety improvement in the area. The Forest Avenue Overpass was completed by the Argersinger-Morse Company in the fall of 1970, financed by University funds in the amount of $482,968.
After the Medical School completed its final move from East University to its second new facility near the Hospital, the old East Medical Building became available for alternate use. In March of 1968 it was approved for remodeling for use by the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and the College of Pharmacy. A contract was awarded in July of 1969 to Butcher and Willits Company of Ann Arbor for the remodeling project and the building was renamed the Clarence Cook Little Science Building to honor the renowned cancer research scientist and former University Page 62President. The project was completed in April of 1971, financed from state appropriations and University sources.
In August of 1954 the Regents were notified of the need for additional space for training of dental students. Requests were made for state support for the new Dental Building at 1011 North University Avenue, and the firm of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls was appointed as architects for planning in April of 1963. When completed in 1971, this 307,156-square-foot addition to University facilities was believed to be the most modern and completely equipped structure of its type in the world. Its construction contract was the largest single such contract let by the University. The building is in the form of a hollow square with an attached eight-story research tower and with one wing devoted to one of the most complete professional libraries in existence. It is also attached to the W. K. Kellogg Institute Building on the west. Built in two phases by A. Z. Shmina and Sons Company, classes were able to continue during the period of its construction and the demolition of the 1908 dental building. The new building has increased floor space nearly five times, has allowed a 70 percent enrollment increase, and inauguration of an entirely new individualized curriculum in both dentistry and dental hygiene. The $16,889,845 construction cost was met by federal grants and state appropriations while the additional $395,000 cost of renovations to the adjoining W. K. Kellogg Institute Building were met by a gift of that amount from the W. K. Kellogg Foundation.
Planning for the Thomas Francis Jr. Public Health Building at 1420 Washington Heights began in July of 1964 when Albert Kahn Associates were employed for architectural services. A project budget of approximately $7,000,000 was approved in June of 1966. With two federal grants, a gift from the W. K. Kellogg Foundation of $2,500,000, and funds from University sources, the final cost of $7,240,000 was realized when the building was completed by the Sorenson Gross Company in September of 1971. The seven-story structure includes 169,597 gross square feet and was designed to connect to the original building via a pedestrian walkway at the third level. The new facility provided consolidation within the School of activities previously scattered in 13 different locations. Acting on the recommendation of the Page 63Dean and faculty of the School, the Regents at their October 1971 meeting approved naming this new addition the Thomas Francis, Jr. Public Health Building to honor the late renowned epidemiologist, who had served the School as Professor of Epidemiology from 1941 to 1968.
The Modern Languages Building at 812 East Washington Street was first approved for planning in January of 1965 and construction contracts were awarded in June of 1969. It was completed in October of 1971 at a project cost of $5,766,000, financed mainly from state appropriation and partially from a federal grant. It provided 129,491 gross square feet of added space for instructional activities. Sorenson Gross Construction Company built this four-story structure. Designed by Albert Kahn Associated Architects and Engineers, Inc., the building helps to meet a critical need for classroom and office spaces on the central campus. The basement contains classrooms and a reading room. On the first floor are two auditoriums and two large lecture halls. Entrances are at the four corners of a peripheral corridor. The second floor contains a large language laboratory plus seminar and classrooms. The third and fourth floors contain offices and conference rooms which were planned around two open courts to provide natural light in each office.
The Power Center for Performing Arts at 121 Fletcher Street was first planned in 1964. An offer from Regent Emeritus Eugene B. Power to provide the major source of funds for this project was accepted in November of 1968. Contracts for construction were awarded to the O'Neal Construction Company in March of 1969 and the project was completed in November of 1971 at a cost of $3,600,000, funded by gifts. The facility includes 1,110,630 cubic feet and 58,532 gross square feet. The 1,420-seat structure is sited in Felch Park. Highlights of its Kevin Roche, John Dinkeloo and Associates design are an advanced lighting system, a stage convertible from proscenium to a thrust stage, and the promenade lobby faced with reflecting glass which mirrors Felch Park and features twin glass-enclosed spiral staircases.
In the last twenty-five years, the Heating Plant at Page 641120 East Huron Street has undergone several significant improvements. In 1954 a fifth boiler was added, financed by state appropriations. In 1961 the Regents authorized an additional boiler, fired by gas. This was completed in 1964, funded by state appropriations. Further expansion and modernization was authorized in 1967 for a complete conversion to gas fuel, and in 1972 two turbine generators were acquired to produce added electricity, financed by University funds.
The Alpha Chi Omega sorority house at 1735 Washtenaw Avenue was purchased for $225,000 in 1972 for the School of Business Administration and renamed the Kalmbach Management Center. This purchase was financed from gifts and University sources and provided 22,970 additional gross square feet to the Business Administration facilities.
In May of 1970 the Regents authorized remodeling of the former University School building areas for the School of Education Building at 610 East University Avenue. Colvin, Robinson and Wright were appointed as architects for the project and Saline Construction Company was awarded the construction contract. The work was completed in 1972 at a cost of $1,200,000, financed from University sources.
On October 2, 1972, the former Zeta Psi fraternity house at 1443 Washtenaw Avenue opened as The William Monroe Trotter House, replacing former quarters at South and East University Avenues seriously damaged by fire the previous May. Named for the editor of the first black civil rights newspaper, the Boston Guardian, the 12, 913-square-foot facility is a completely different innovative concept providing coordination of a positive social and cultural environment for black students on the campus. The facility also provides a comfortable environment for black students to seek and receive information from peers and professional staff to aid in their adjustment in the University setting. Purchase and renovation costs of $110,000 were met from University funds and from insurance on the burned building.
The Argus Buildings and land at 405-416 South Fourth Street were acquired from Sylvania Electric Products, Inc. in 1963 at a cost of $1,256,000, financed by University funds. Page 65The three buildings included 2,312,889 cubic feet and 195,353 gross square feet which provided flexible space for storage and service functions. Building Number I was remodeled to provide space for an expanded Amphibian Facility, headquarters for the Alumni Records Office, the Bureau of School Services, as well as storage and service areas for the Library system. Building Number III provided expanded facilities for all units of the Audio-Visual Education Center. When Building Number II was vacated by Argus Optics in 1971, extensive renovations, totaling just over $1,000,000 in University funds, were undertaken to convert the area into office, service, workshop, and studio areas for the Television Center. Ceremonies on September 19, 1974, marked completion of the new Center and the introduction of the Center's new color equipment.
The Business Administration Assembly Hall project at 901 Hill Street was approved in January of 1970. Construction contracts were awarded in May of 1971. The building was completed in November of 1972 at a cost of $1,270,000, financed from gifts and University funds. This two-story building offers year-round facilities for conference and teaching activities of the School of Business Administration, particularly the management and executive training programs conducted by the School. Designed by O'Dell, Hewlett and Luckenbach, construction of this 26,136-square-foot facility was completed by the R. T. Mitchell Construction Company. A 500-seat auditorium within the building is named for Clayton G. Hale, a former Business Administration School faculty member and major donor to the project's funding. First floor facilities also include case discussion rooms and quarters for the executive-in-residence program. On the second floor are conference rooms and offices and a walkway to the main School of Business Administration Building.
The Plant Services Building, a 14,473-square-foot industrial-type building at 1111 Palmer Drive, was designed by Engineering Services to house, in a consolidated area, the Building Service Department Offices and Training Facilities, a Central Campus base of operations for the Elevator Repair Unit, and the Preventive Maintenance Unit, and a small repair area. It was completed in 1973 by the Saline Construction Company at a cost of just under $200,000, financed by University funds.
Page 66The Health Service Building at 207 Fletcher Street was renovated by the E. E. Kurtz Construction Company during 1973-74 at a cost of $428,000. Renovations to update facilities, make handicapped provisions, and to allow use of 10,000 square feet not otherwise usable were completed in 1974. These renovations and some of the fire protection projects undertaken at the same time were funded from University sources, while state funding supported other of the fire protection projects.
The Chemistry Building at 930 North University Avenue was approved for significant renovation in December of 1972. The program was undertaken in a three-phase plan to allow continued use of the building during construction. Charles Sherman Associates provided architectural services for replacement of major mechanical systems, updating of fire exits, improvements for handicapped accessibility and laboratory modernization. R. T. Mitchell Company was the contractor for the project. The first phase was completed in October of 1975, financed from University sources.
In the last two decades the University Library at the center of the campus has undergone two renovation projects. In 1956 and 1957 state appropriations funded a remodeling project of $700,000 at the time the new Undergraduate Library was constructed. A two-floor stack addition was added to the east and west stacks of this structure in 1957 by utilizing space under the roof and in light wells. This addition of 28,046 square feet was designed by Colvin, Robinson and completed by Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. The Harlan H. Hatcher Graduate Library (South) was in planning for several years while funding from several sources was acquired. With support from a federal grant, a federal loan, some gift support from the "55 Million" campaign, and pledged student fees, a financing plan was approved in November of 1966. The project was designed by Albert Kahn Associated Architects and Engineers, Inc. A construction contract was awarded to the Lathrop Company in August of 1967. The eight-story building was completed in June of 1970 at a cost of approximately $5,000,000 adding 142,502 gross square feet to the library facilities. The addition provided space to accommodate some 800,000 to 900,000 additional volumes in airconditioned stacks, plus 532. carrels on the second through Page 67sixth floors. One thousand twenty-four book lockers, 200 typewriter lockers, and 10 typing rooms are also located on the second floor. The seventh floor houses the department of rare books and special collections, and on the eighth floor are a map room, a room for papyrology and manuscripts, a 30-seat classroom for teaching, and administrative offices for the library system. This new addition to the south became known as Hatcher-South, while the original structure became known as Hatcher-North. When the Harlan H. Hatcher Graduate Library, South was built, the former library area was badly in need of major rehabilitation. As early as 1965 Albert Kahn and Associates were hired to plan this rehabilitation. State funding was sought and finally obtained in the early 1970s. Work was begun by the Saline Construction Company in 1974 and the project was completed in February 1976 at a cost of just under $4,690,000. This older part of the library was then renamed the Harlan H. Hatcher Graduate Library, North.
Planning for the Institute for Social Research Building, at 426 Thompson Street, began in November of 1959 when additional space was requested of the Regents for this unit. Jeffress-Dyer, Inc. was awarded the contract for construction in April of 1964. A unique feature of the floor layout, designed by Alden B. Dow Associates, Inc., is the arrangement of offices in clusters or modules around a central open space lighted by large window walls. This arrangement provides discrete areas for different programs and yet permits easy communication among staff members of a particular research area. Individual offices are small in order to provide privacy for more staff members. Stairs, elevators, and rest rooms are centrally located, therefore, less space is used for hallways, creating additional laboratory and office space. This arrangement yields an extremely efficient use of space - 74 percent - a high ratio of net to gross space for an office building. The building was completed in December of 1965, and it was financed from federal grants, gifts, and University sources for a total cost of just under $2,000,000. An addition to this building was requested and authorized in July of 1970. In December of 1972, 52,100 additional square feet were authorized for the addition, also designed by the Dow firm, and a construction contract was awarded to the R. T. Mitchell Company of Ann Arbor in April of 1974. The addition was completed in April of 1976, Page 68financed from gifts and University sources. The building now encompasses 133,723 gross square feet at a cost of $4,500,000.
The William A. Paton Accounting Center at 951 Hill Street was completed in April of 1976 at a cost of $1,200,000, financed from private gifts. The building project was first approved by the Regents in June of 1973. In November of 1973 the O'Dell, Hewlett, and Luckenbach architectural firm was authorized to complete plans, and in November of 1974 the construction contract was awarded to the R. T. Mitchell Construction Company of Ann Arbor. This excellent and compact facility added 15,239 gross square feet for the teaching and research in accounting programs in the School of Business Administration. Named to honor Michigan's distinguished emeritus Professor of Accounting, this brick two-story air-conditioned structure is sited between the Business Administration Assembly Hall and the Hill Street Parking structure. It contains case discussion rooms, seminar rooms, faculty offices, and television studios and control rooms and support facilities.
In April of 1973 the Regents approved a student fee allocation to finance two new recreational buildings, the Central Campus Recreation Building at 401 Washtenaw and the North Campus Recreational Facility. An increased demand for modern recreational facilities led to this approval of new recreation buildings for both the Central and the North Campuses. The two buildings were authorized for construction in June of 1974, at a combined cost of $7,700,000. The Central Campus building was connected to the Women's Swimming Pool building which was built in 1954 and renamed the Margaret Bell Pool in May of 1966. The Central Campus facility was completed by Spence Brothers Construction Company in July of 1976 at a cost of $4,800,000 and with the pool building provides 182,088 gross square feet of excellent intramural sports space. The aging and inadequate Women's Athletic Building was demolished in 1974 to clear a site for the 132,956-square-foot Central Campus building which would allow it to be built adjacent to Palmer Field and to connect with the Margaret Bell Pool. Alden B. Dow Associated, Inc. designed the facility, available to both men and women. It includes 11 handball and 6 squash courts, a large gymnasium with a one-eighth-mile jogging track, Page 69exercise rooms, sauna-equipped locker rooms, handicapped facilities, plus physical education areas and administrative offices. Another interesting feature of the building are two brightly colored leaded glass windows on the west side of the main lobby portraying Olympic sports symbols in a predominantly maize and blue color scheme. The will of the late Ruth Hooke of Cincinnati provided for and directed that windows in her memory be placed facing the sunset in a suitable location on campus. Designed by Ralph S. Stevenson from an idea developed by Kathleen Segat, the design was executed by Ann Arbor artist Bob Vavrina in hand-blown, full antique glass and opalescent glass.
A Dance Building at 1310 North University Court was added to the Central Campus Recreation Building in 1977. To replace its former cramped and inadequate quarters in Barbour Gymnasium, this 11,493-square-foot specially-designed facility was constructed for the School of Music's Dance Department by Spence Brothers Construction Company. The three-story structure has four large dance studios on the first and third levels. Offices, conference rooms and administrative spaces occupy the second level. The project cost of approximately $500,000 was met from University funds.