The University of Michigan, an encyclopedic survey ... Wilfred B. Shaw, editor.
University of Michigan.
Page  [i]

THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
AN ENCYCLOPEDIC SURVEY

VOLUME VI
THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN 1940-75
FEROL BRINKMAN, EDITOR

Ann Arbor
The University of Michigan
Bentley Historical Library
1981

Page  iiPublished with the financial assistance of the Office of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs.

Page  iii
    CONTENTS
  • Page
  • Foreword.....v
  • Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer.....1
    • Organization and Change.....2
    • Financial Support and Activities.....12
    • Personnel.....31
    • Physical Properties.....46
    • North Campus.....98
    • City-University Relations.....99
  • College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.....109
    • Department of Anthropology.....120
    • Department of Astronomy.....123
    • Department of Botany.....131
    • Department of Chemistry.....134
    • Department of Classical Studies.....136
    • Department of Computer and Communication Sciences.....139
    • Department of Economics.....144
    • Department of English Language and Literature.....148
    • Department of Far Eastern Languages and Literatures.....152
    • Department of Geography.....156
    • Department of Geological Sciences.....160
    • Summer Geological Field Training.....165
    • Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures.....166
    • Department of History.....170
    • Department of History of Art.....174
    • Department of Journalism.....175
    • Department of Linguistics.....179
    • Department of Mathematics.....183
    • Department of Near Eastern Studies.....187
    • Page  ivPage
    • Department of Philosophy.....190
    • Department of Physics.....193
    • Department of Political Science.....204
    • Department of Psychology.....207
    • Department of Romance Languages and Literatures.....212
      • French.....215
      • Italian.....217
      • Romance Linguistics.....217
      • Spanish.....218
    • Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures.....219
    • Department of Sociology.....220
    • Department of Speech Communication and Theater.....223
    • Department of Statistics.....226
    • Department of Zoology.....227
    • Residential College.....230
Page  v

FOREWORD

In 1977, the Bentley Library published the first in a series of update volumes for the four-volume Encyclopedic Survey of the University of Michigan, an account of the history of the University from its inception in 1817 to 1940. The 1977 volume, covering the period from ca. 1940 to 1975, dealt with two presidential administrations, three vice-presidential areas, and most of the University's schools, colleges, libraries and cultural units. This present volume, again covering the period from ca. 1940 to 1975, focuses upon developments in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and upon the role of the Vice-President for Business and Finance. Reports for a number of other University units, still to be covered, will be included in a third, and final, volume.

Again, as in the case of the 1977 volume, primary credit for the editorial work in connection with the project goes to Ferol Brinkman. Mrs. Brinkman's patience, good judgment, and persistence have been crucial to the project's continuity and success. This present volume will prove especially helpful to those who seek information on changes in the University's physical plant over the past third of a century, and who are concerned for developments in the largest college within the University during that same period of time. Treatments of the various departments vary both in coverage and format, in accord with the reports the departments have themselves submitted to us. The result, we believe, provides a broad survey of important general trends in the University's life over a thirty-five-year period but also recounts developments within the units which they themselves see as particularly significant for their departments and disciplines.

The Bentley Library publishes this second update volume as part of its continuing program to preserve the historical sources of the University and encourage their use by historians and other scholars. Funding for the project was provided by the Office of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs.

Page  [unnumbered]