Alice Crocker Lloyd Hall
A new women's residence hall, later named for Alice Crocker Lloyd ('16), was opened for occupancy at the beginning of 1949. The building, which now houses more than five hundred girls, had not yet been completed so that only 284 students could be accommodated at that time. Women living temporarily in Victor Vaughan House and those living at Willow Run were given priority in selecting residents for the dormitory.
In April, 1945, the Regents appointed a committee to study the necessity of new residence halls for women, and in May of the same year this committee was authorized to develop a plan for financing the construction of a new women's unit to be situated between the Observatory and Mosher-Jordan Halls. These plans were approved in October with authorization to borrow the necessary funds (R.P., 1945-48, pp. 59-60).
Although ground was broken on March 11, 1946, the building was not completed until June, 1949. Delays in receiving material because of nationwide building programs retarded construction, and, to ensure housing for returning veterans, materials and supplies were directed toward the other projects under the contract. There was also a shortage of labor at that time.
Clare Ditchy, of Detroit, was the architect, and Knoll Associates, of New York City, were responsible for the interior decoration and the design of the furniture. The contractor was the George A. Fuller Company, of New York City. The cost of construction was $2,984,357.
Alice Crocker Lloyd Hall is modern in design, six stories in height, with a flat roof, and is constructed of red brick with limestone trim. The building is comprised of four different houses, interconnected, each having its own lounge, birch wainscoted dining room, typing cubicles, laundry facilities, music room, and study hall. All meals served in the four dining rooms, however, are prepared in the spacious kitchen which occupies the first floor of the building. The street-level second floor is devoted to the lobby, the house directors' suites, individual house lounges, and the main lounge, which has a marble fireplace and library. Rest rooms, cloakrooms, and a mammoth telephone switchboard, which services the three residence halls on Observatory Street, are also on this floor. Elevators and ample bathroom facilities have been provided.
The student rooms are furnished with blond birch furniture, and draperies of a solid color, either red, yellow, or blue, frame spacious windows and contrast with the light gray of the walls. Occupants furnish hangings, bedspreads, and rugs. The four separate house lounges were decorated in yellow and brown, black and gold, brown and green, and red and gray, while the main lounge was multi-colored.
In the beginning one of the four houses was restricted to graduate students. In 1953, because of the increasing Page 1713number of undergraduate women, it was necessary to remove this restriction, and the capacity of the residence hall was increased to 572. This was accomplished by assigning students to rooms designed for staff and by remodeling some single rooms and a few double rooms. The work was carried out by the Henry deKoning Company, of Ann Arbor.
The four units, or houses, were named Sarah Caswell Angell, Alice Freeman Palmer, Mary Louisa Hinsdale, and Caroline Hubbard Kleinstueck, to honor four women who were prominent in the history of the University: Sarah Caswell Angell, the wife of James B. Angell, President of the University from 1871 to 1909, was particularly interested in student welfare and was one of the founders of the Women's League. Alice Freeman Palmer ('76), one of the first women students to receive a degree from the University, was president of Wellesley College, served on the Massachusetts Board of Education, and was the first Dean of Women at the University of Chicago (1892-95). Caroline Hubbard Kleinstueck ('75, M.A. '76), a resident of Kalamazoo and the first woman to receive a master's degree from the University, was a leader in woman suffrage and in Michigan alumnae projects and a generous contributor to the building of the Michigan League and to other University enterprises. Mary Louisa Hinsdale (Adelbert '85, A.M. Michigan '90, Ph.D. '12), a native of Ann Arbor, gained recognition in the field of education after completing her studies at the University. She served as a teacher and educational administrator in Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan schools and, later, became a lecturer in American history and government in Grand Rapids Junior College.
The following memorial announcing the death of Dean Lloyd on March 3, 1950, appeared in the Regents' Proceedings for March, 1950:
The death of Alice Crocker Lloyd, on March 3, 1950, terminated a supremely useful and exemplary life which had been dedicated with unquestioning devotion to the welfare of the women students of the University of Michigan. For four years Miss Lloyd was one of the group of Advisers of Women Students, and since 1930 she had occupied the highly responsible and important office of Dean of Women. A native of Ann Arbor, brought up in one of its most honored homes, and having shared the experiences of student life on our campus as a member of the Class of 1916, she came into the service of the University with a knowledge of its ideals and a sympathetic insight into the difficulties faced by its students in solving their academic and personal problems. Her mature wisdom and her quiet graciousness made her a well-nigh perfect counselor for our young women, who found in her a friend upon whose constancy they could rely and whose nobility of character they could admire and emulate. The Regents of the University of Michigan acknowledge the great loss suffered by the institution through her untimely death, and share with Dean Lloyd's family and with her countless friends the sorrow occasioned by her loss.
(R.P., 1948-51, p. 787.)
In March, 1950, the Regents received a statement from the Board of Governors of Residence Halls, memorializing the work of Dean Lloyd as a member of that Board from its inception until her death on March 3, 1950, and confirmed the following resolution:
"Resolved, That the Board of Governors of Residence Halls recommend to the Regents for their consideration that the late Dean Lloyd be honored and memorialized by naming the new women's residence Alice Crocker Lloyd Hall" (R.P., 1948-51, p. 786).
The name of Alice Crocker Lloyd became a permanent part of the University at the formal dedication ceremonies of Lloyd Hall in Hinsdale Lounge on Page 1714December 3, 1950. President Ruthven spoke in behalf of the University, and Regent Vera B. Baits reviewed Dean Lloyd's career and contribution to the women of the University of Michigan. The memorial gifts included a portrait bust of Dean Lloyd, a memorial library, a special bookplate, and a silver tea service, purchased by the student residents of the hall of the class of 1950.