University Terrace, consisting of twelve buildings for married student veterans and their families, has a total of 276 furnished apartments. The first building was occupied on September 16, 1946, and ten of the remaining buildings were completed at various dates throughout the fiscal year, the last one in July, 1947.
The financing of the twelve apartment buildings was placed on a long-term basis separate from the term bank loan at first contemplated. For this purpose, in April, 1947, a new bond issue in the amount of $2,225,000 payable out of the net operating income of the University Terrace buildings was marketed (R.P., 1945-48, pp. 761-81).
The site, to the east of University Hospital and the School of Public Health, commands a view of the Huron River Valley. The buildings, of brick on cinder-block construction, although similar in design, are not identical in size or elevation. Most of the apartments are "zerobedroom" — that is, they consist of an extra-large living room with a sofa which can be converted to a bed, a dining area, a kitchenette, and a bath. Some of the apartments, however, have separate bedrooms. The furnishings, which are provided by the University, include a gas refrigerator, a four-burner gas stove with oven, dining table and chairs, sofa, desk, end tables, coffee table, and floor and table lamps. The furniture is bleached maple, and the walls are buff sand-finish plaster. The floors are asphalt tile, specially treated, and each kitchen has an exhaust fan.
The architect was Charles Noble, and the contractor, the George A. Fuller Company, of New York City, who did the work on a cost-plus-fee basis.
The policy by which assignment of students was made to the apartments was established by the Board of Governors of Residence Halls in conference with veterans and their representatives. Priority is given to full-time students who are veterans and residents of Michigan under the Regents' interpretation. Page 1745Each apartment is leased for a period of one year, with privilege of renewal for a second year. Because of the housing shortage the apartments may also be rented by married veterans on the University faculty.
On the new north campus, directly north of the Mortimer E. Cooley Engineering building in the area bordering on Plymouth Road, other apartments for married students and faculty are now under construction. The first apartments in this project were occupied in September, 1955. This development was constructed at a cost of $894,000 by Jeffress-Dyer, Inc., Washington, D. C. It contains twelve two-bedroom, forty-eight one-bedroom, and forty bedroom and living room combined apartments. More units are now under construction.