University Storehouse and Shops
For years divisions of the Buildings and Grounds Department had maintained Page 1744shops in various parts of the campus. In April, 1912, the Board of Regents approved the construction of a storehouse and shops to cost approximately $25,000, an estimate that was increased later to $35,000. This first building was completed in 1914 at the corner of North University and Forest avenues. It was designed and built by the University Department of Buildings and Grounds and provided 4,670 square feet of floor space. It furnished accommodations for the office of the superintendent as well as for all of the divisions of the Buildings and Grounds Department, with the exception of the Laundry and the Power Plant. A part of the building was used for stock supplies, including an ample amount of materials for maintenance and new construction, as well as janitor and hospital supplies.
This first building soon proved inadequate for the operation of the department and for the storage and handling of materials, and provision was made for the construction of a building to be used specifically as a Storehouse Office Building and as a Storehouse and Shops addition. This was completed in 1922, at an estimated cost of $120,000.
The front or street-level part of the building (actually the second floor) contains an area of 31,417 square feet, while the shop addition to the rear and on the ground floor represents another area of 39,867 square feet. In all, 71,284 square feet of additional floor space were thus provided, and although the building was only three stories high, it was designed for expansion when more space became necessary. The Buildings and Grounds Department served as architect and contractor for the original building and also for the additions.