Adelia Cheever House
Adelia Cheever House, formerly at 516 E. Madison Avenue, was the fifth women's residence to be donated to the University. The gift was the culmination of years of hospitality offered to students by Judge Noah Wood Cheever ('63, '65l) and Mrs. Adelia Cheever who had occupied the residence since 1879.
After the death of Judge Cheever in 1905 the property was given to Miss Pamela Noble, a sister of Mrs. Cheever. Upon her death it was conveyed to the University to be used as a residence for women.
In June of the same year the sum of $7,000 was appropriated for repairs and alterations, and an additional $7,500 was set aside for furnishings. The house was opened in September, 1921, and was operated on a co-operative basis.
In December of the same year Professor E. C. Goddard offered, on behalf of himself and "certain other alumni" to purchase the lot adjoining on the east, and to provide thereon a cottage for additional dormitory facilities. The rentals from this cottage would, he felt, in time pay for the erection of the cottage after which they would serve to establish scholarships or loan funds for University women. It was the intent of Professor Goddard and his associates that the building and land should in due course be deeded to the University if the plan worked out according to expectations.
Instead of building the cottage, in March, 1922, Professor Goddard asked the Regents to donate the building at 619 Haven Avenue, acquired by the University when they secured the site for the University High School Building. The Board agreed to this proposal and ordered that the house be removed to the lot adjacent to the Adelia Cheever House on condition that all expenses of removal would be borne by others than the University and that no change would be made in the original proposal other than that those who were giving the University the lot and the additional quarters for women students should have the benefit, for the project, of the dwelling itself (R.P., 1920-23, p. 408).
Adelia Cheever House provided for twenty-five girls and Pamela Noble Cottage for twelve. The two buildings, of frame construction, set well back from the street, were surrounded by a wide lawn. In the basement was a recreation room, the gift of Professor and Mrs. Goddard in 1930.
The house and cottage, along with other houses in this block, were razed in 1949 to clear the site for South Quadrangle. Page 1712The name was perpetuated, however, when the home of Walter C. Mack was bought by the University in January, 1947, for $55,000 and designated as the new Adelia Cheever House. Only minor changes were necessary to make the residence ready; girls moved into it in the fall of 1949.
This new house, of brick, is situated well back from the street and has a beautifully landscaped lawn. The first floor includes a large living room, dining room, kitchen, and the director's suite. Twenty-nine girls are housed on the two upper floors; there is also a large dormitory which is used for sleeping. The basement contains a large recreation room.