School of Business Administration Building
The first suggestion or reference to the proposed School of Business Administration in a public document seems to be in a report entitled "Postwar Public Works Program for the University of Michigan," dated October 1, 1943. A building for the School of Business Administration appears as Project 23 in this report, with a suggested expenditure of $600,000. The first money appropriated by the state for the building was $1,800,000, approved by Governor Kelly on February 18, 1946.
The site, authorized by the Regents in July, 1945, was in the block surrounded by Monroe, Tappan, Hill, and Haven Page 1730streets and was purchased at the time construction was begun, the building occupying approximately the north half of the block. Ten private dwellings were removed for its construction, which began in August, 1946. Money to complete the building was appropriated in 1947.
The cornerstone was laid on May 24, 1947, with addresses by President Alexander G. Ruthven, Provost James P. Adams, and Dean Russell A. Stevenson. The south wing, the library, and the administrative offices were occupied in the fall of 1948, and the remainder of the building in February, 1949.
Lee Black and Kenneth C. Black, of Lansing, Michigan, were the architects. The latter was chiefly responsible, and this building was his first on the Michigan campus. Since its construction, however, he has served as architect for the Alice Lloyd Radiation Therapy Laboratory, for alterations to the Neuropsychiatric Institute and the University Hospital, and for the Women's Swimming Pool.
The general contractor was Bryant and Detwiler, of Detroit; R. L. Spitzley Company, of Detroit, was responsible for the plumbing, heating, and ventilating, and the electrical contractor was John H. Busby, of Detroit. The total actual cost was $2,715,000, including almost $299,000 for land and land improvements plus $95,000 for furniture and equipment.
The School of Business Administration Building contains 1,811,000 cubic feet, and consists of a classroom and laboratory wing on the south, a library and lecture wing on the east, and an office tower on the northwest corner. The structural framework is of reinforced concrete to the fourth-floor level, above which the faculty office tower is of structural steel construction. The exterior is of brick with double-hung aluminum windows.
The library seats approximately 380 students and has stack space for some 100,000 volumes. There are thirty class, laboratory, and lecture rooms, with seating capacity ranging from seventeen for small seminar rooms to 192 for the two largest lecture rooms. The standard classroom, of which there are thirteen, seats forty-nine students. Five lecture rooms, the smallest seating eighty-two, are constructed without windows in order to facilitate the use of visual education programs. One of the two student lounges is equipped with a kitchenette, and a faculty lounge on the ninth floor of the tower is similarly equipped.
All classrooms, laboratories, and lecture rooms are equipped with strip tables of metal or wood which are permanently fastened to the floor. Chairs are metal and are movable. Two of the laboratories have underfloor ducts for electrical outlets so that automatic business machines can be plugged in at any desired location. All classrooms and lecture rooms are provided with recesses equipped with rods, coat hangers, and racks for hats and books. Furnishings in the principal student lounge have been provided by student contributions and earnings from activities of the student council. Furnishings for the faculty lounge have been provided by subscriptions by faculty and alumni of the School.
Although the building has been used primarily by the School of Business Administration, parts of it have been made available for classes to the School of Education, the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, and the Extension Service.