The University of Michigan, an encyclopedic survey ... Wilfred B. Shaw, editor.
University of Michigan.
Mary Markley House

In May, 1944, on request of the Alumnae Council, the designation of the dormitory previously known as Alumnae House was changed to Mary Markley House in honor of Mary Elizabeth Butler Markley ('92), one of the first women to graduate from the University and widow of Joseph L. Markley, who was for many years chairman of the Department of Mathematics. Mrs. Markley had always taken an active part in alumnae affairs and even in her eighties continued to be interested in the house.

Mary Markley House faced many difficulties at the time of World War II. It was too small to be operated efficiently, and by 1950, although maintenance and repair had been kept to a minimum, the house was in debt. It was also in poor condition. In April, 1950, therefore, with the approval of the Board of Patronesses of Mary Markley House and the Executive Board of the Alumnae Council, the following recommendations were approved:

  • 1. That the Mary Markley House be closed as of the end of the current semester.
  • 2. That a payment of not more than $20,000 from the Mary Markley House Building and Equipment Reserve for Repair and Replacement and the General Residence Halls Reserve, to the Mary Bartron Henderson Memorial House fund, be approved in recognition of the fact that Mary Markley House was presented to the University by the alumnae and the alumnae are desirous to complete the Henderson House;
  • 3. That authorization be given for the completion of final plans and specifications for the Henderson House with an anticipated expenditure of not more than the sum of money in hand, including the above mentioned $20,000, for that purpose;
  • 4. That the name Mary Markley be remembered in the naming of future women's housing facilities;
  • 5. That the members of the Mary Markley Board be recommended for their faithful services and relieved of duty as of the close of the current semester.

(R.P., 1948-51, p. 809.)

Thus, there came to an end Alumnae House, subsequently, Mary Markley House. (The old house at 1219 Washtenaw still stands and is used as the accounting office for the Engineering Research Institute.) The financial aid which it provided toward the completion of an enlarged and more modern Henderson House will be of lasting benefit to the women who seek co-operative housing on the campus.