Radiation Laboratory Building
The headquarters of the Institute of Human Biology are housed in a building which was originally part of the old University Hospital. In fact, the north wing of this building is the oldest part still standing of any of the old Hospital group. The wing was constructed in 1891, and a later addition to the south was called the Palmer Ward, a name sometimes in later years attached to the whole building. For many years the first floor of the wing served as a dining room, and most of the second floor was divided into small rooms for patients. In 1950 the old dining room was divided into offices and laboratories for the Institute, part of the cost being provided from research grants and part by University funds. In 1951 and 1952 the rooms on the second floor were also refinished and fitted as offices and laboratories. In addition to the main offices of the Institute, the north wing provides space for the section of Community Dynamics, Assortative Mating Study, and Hereditary Abilities Study. In the attic experiments are presently being conducted on the heredity of the behavioral characteristics of small animals.