Newberry Hall, situated on State Street directly across from Angell Hall, was built in 1890-91 as headquarters for the Students' Christian Association of the University. This organization was established in the winter of 1857-58 and continued to flourish for many years, with a large proportion of the student body active in the work of the organization. At the celebration of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Association in 1883, the need for suitable quarters was vigorously set forth. It was not until July 1, 1887, that funds were available to begin the construction of a building. Members of the faculty, students, and citizens of Ann Arbor contributed the sum of $2,500 to purchase the site, and this, together with an extra sum of $1,700, made up the original contribution. Albert E. Jennings ('89) had taken the field as a canvassing agent, and as a result sufficient funds were raised to justify the Board of Directors in undertaking the erection of the building. The cornerstone was laid on May 26, 1888, but delays in construction followed owing to the expansion of the original plans, and it was not until June, 1891, that the building was dedicated. With its furnishings, the completed building represented a total cost of $40,000, which sum included a gift of $18,000 from Mrs. Helen H. Newberry, of Detroit. In recognition of this support it was named Newberry Hall in honor of her husband, John S. Newberry ('47). Several contributions of $1,000 were made by Detroit citizens, and $2,600 was raised by the women of Ann Arbor, largely through an art loan exhibition which was held in the partly completed building. In a contemporary account of this exhibition it was estimated that "two million dollars worth of valuables" was displayed.
The new building contained rooms for general social headquarters for the Students' Christian Association as well as offices and committee rooms and an auditorium on the second floor. It was substantially built of native field stone, in the prevailing Romanesque style of the period, developed under the influence of the architect, H. H. Richardson, of Boston. The plans were prepared by Spier and Rohn, architects, of Detroit. It has a frontage on State Street of 58 feet and extends 90 feet to the rear.
Following a reorganization in 1904-5, Newberry Hall became the center of the Young Women's Christian Association, under the general direction of the board of the Students' Christian Association, which still continued to hold the title to Newberry Hall. The building gradually decreased in usefulness, and at the June meeting of the Regents in 1921, the Students' Christian Association offered it to the University for classes on condition that the expense of repairs and the cost of heating be borne by the University (R.P., 1920-23, p. 210). In July, 1921, the Regents appropriated $2,000 for repairs and equipment of Newberry Hall, which provided three classrooms and a large lecture room. At the June meeting of 1922 the Board authorized payment of $2,400 to the Association for rental of the building as of September, 1921. The University continued to rent it for classes in history, English, and philosophy and in 1928 took it over on a lease from the Students' Christian Association and adapted it for use as a museum under the Department of Classical Studies.
In a subsequent reorganization, following the establishment of a Student Page 1695Religious Association in 1937, the Board of Directors of the old S.C.A. transferred the property to the University.
In 1953 the museum, which had become a separate unit, was named the Francis W. Kelsey Museum of Archaeology.