Museums Annex (Old Health Service Building)
In 1921, when the Health Service was made a unit of the new Division of Hygiene and Public Health, the need for more space than that provided by the remodeled dwelling on Ingalls Street which then housed it became imperative. As a result, in July, 1922, the Health Service took over the building which had served as the Children's Ward of the old Homeopathic Hospital.
This building, which had been constructed at a cost of $32,322.41 in 1919, was erected by the Department of Buildings and Grounds and consisted of three floors approximately 40 by 70 feet, with a total area of 11,795 square feet. For about eighteen years, or until April, 1940, the Health Service occupied this building. In 1928, because a larger staff, Page 1692improved service, more space, and more adequate equipment were badly needed, funds were made available which permitted expansion on the ground floor of the former Homeopathic Hospital. This space was used for a small waiting room, two physicians' offices, and extended facilities for physiotherapy. New furniture, modern equipment, and X-ray facilities were also installed.
The entrance to the main building opened into a hall, on the left side of which were three offices for doctors and one for the dispensing nurse. Farther down the hall, opposite the entrance, was a large main room containing the business office and files for student records. Opening off this room, at the east, was a patients' waiting room and, surrounding it, on the north and west, were offices and examination rooms for the various Health Service physicians.
Just inside the main entrance a stairway led to a second-floor room occupied by the nurse supervising the infirmary. At the east end of the building was a ward for women students and on the west, a ward for men.
The basement, which was partly above ground, housed the X ray, pharmacy, and cashier's offices at the front, and a laboratory at the rear. The basement was connected by a corridor with the basement of the old Homeopathic Hospital, which housed the eye, ear, nose, and throat and allergy clinics of the Health Service. At the rear were a dietitian's office, dining rooms, and a kitchen.
With the completion of the new Health Service Building in 1940, the old Health Service was taken over by the University Museums and named the Museums Annex.
The larger part of the space, comprising the entire second floor and some rooms on the third floor and in the basement, houses the Institute for Fisheries Research of the Michigan Department of Conservation, which formerly occupied very congested quarters in the University Museums Building. The remaining space is used by the Great Lakes Laboratory of the United States Fish and Wild Life Service, the University Herbarium, the Museum of Paleontology, and the Laboratory of Vertebrate Biology, for much needed supplementary research facilities. Until it was discontinued in the spring of 1942, the University unit of the Michigan WPA Museums Project had its headquarters in the Annex. Since then, these rooms have been used by the office of the University Museums.